Blank Screen?

Hi folks,

We have a 71 plate 1.5 tsi SE L and today after washing the car, the screen is completely blank (and therefore no music/sat nav/parking sensors/aircon etc).  In normal IT style, we've tried turning it off and on again....

Presume it will need to be a "take it to the dealership" job but wondering if there is something obvious that we've missed trying.  Anyone come across this before?

Thanks for any help.

Most of us know that by now. Sorry you had to learn the hard way.

Personally I have to do it on every second trip or so - just to get the sound volume to return to normal.

I hope that one day Skoda will finally produce a stable software release.

This reset wouldn't be so bad if it were faster and initiated by a momentary button-press. After all I start my computer and my phone from scratch each day too.

But unfortunately it takes around a minute to return to normal and also requires initially holding that button down until the screen goes blank which takes 10 seconds of distraction from driving, 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DaveFromSydney said:

Most of us know that by now. Sorry you had to learn the hard way.

Personally I have to do it on every second trip or so - just to get the sound volume to return to normal.

I hope that one day Skoda will finally produce a stable software release.

This reset wouldn't be so bad if it were faster and initiated by a momentary button-press. After all I start my computer and my phone from scratch each day too.

But unfortunately it takes around a minute to return to normal and also requires initially holding that button down until the screen goes blank which takes 10 seconds of distraction from driving, 

Thanks Dave, at least we know what to do now and that it's not just us.  Never move off usually without the screen already fired up as need to remove the lane assist before driving as it's a pain in the arse.

3 hours ago, amck5700 said:

Thanks Dave, at least we know what to do now and that it's not just us.  Never move off usually without the screen already fired up as need to remove the lane assist before driving as it's a pain in the arse.

If it helps, you can turn off lane assist via steering wheel controls which you can do on the move. 

On the right side steering wheel buttons press the top left one which opens the assist menu.  Lane assist should be selected, so just press the right silver scroll wheel to untick it, and press the first button again to exit the menu.  After a while it becomes muscle memory!  I used to turn mine off a lot but after some updates a few months ago it got less intrusive so haven't had to bother much. HTH.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, amck5700 said:

I never move off without the screen fired up since I need to remove several pains in arses: auto start/stop, fake engine sound, lane assist.

Which can mean waiting a minute or so. And only after that minute does it get Android Auto started up enough to restore the music and I can find out that it has decided to cut all volume by 90%, necessitating the full reboot.

However, did you know you can turn off lane assist easily on the go by only two button presses on the steering wheel that you can easily do without looking down and taking your eyes off the road?

On the right, press the Travel Assist button (top-left below), which displays the list of assist systems with Lane Assist at the top, and then press on the wheel (B) to uncheck it. That is all. The display will return to normal in a few seconds without further input.

Edited: MCG1975: Seems we both replied at the same time with almost identical advice.

image.png.2b34f89ff9c1963661129047b556a99d.png

Edited by DaveFromSydney
  • Like 2

Oh great, Thanks both!  We've not had the volume problem yet, so that's a treat for later... the shortcut is a great help though so thanks again :)

8 minutes ago, amck5700 said:

Oh great, Thanks both!  We've not had the volume problem yet, so that's a treat for later... the shortcut is a great help though so thanks again :)

I have not heard of anyone else here with the volume issue. It seems to be only my car. I mentioned it when I took the car in for a problem with the aircon but they were understaffed due to Covid and asked me to book separate visit. I haven't bothered, preferring to wait until the one year service in May. I have had other intermittent faults too, in satnav and reversing camera amongst others, but they are so rare that I doubt they could reproduce and fix them. We can only hope that one day a software release will occur that deals with intermittent issues as a whole.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MCG1975 said:

If it helps, you can turn off lane assist via steering wheel controls which you can do on the move. 

On the right side steering wheel buttons press the top left one which opens the assist menu.  Lane assist should be selected, so just press the right silver scroll wheel to untick it, and press the first button again to exit the menu.  After a while it becomes muscle memory!  I used to turn mine off a lot but after some updates a few months ago it got less intrusive so haven't had to bother much. HTH.

Interesting hearing about more and more glitches and learning the fixes.... I can live with all the problems on this otherwise great car, but if I lose the lane assist shortcut on the steering wheel it’s getting traded! 

Edited by Zedboy
Proof read
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have just experienced the above and it seems a simple ignition off, open door solution wouldn't solve it.

I am not even sure if the head unit is under power as it stays completely blank when I start up the car. Do you think the reset would work this way?

11 hours ago, Matt_130 said:

I have just experienced the above and it seems a simple ignition off, open door solution wouldn't solve it.

I am not even sure if the head unit is under power as it stays completely blank when I start up the car. Do you think the reset would work this way?

head unit by holding the power button but it reatarts every minute or two by itself. Basically unusable this way.

On 17/03/2022 at 08:41, Matt_130 said:

head unit by holding the power button but it reatarts every minute or two by itself. Basically unusable this way.

Disconnected the battery for a cuople of minutes and it solved the problem. At least for now.