Replacement Door Entry Lights

I bought my Superb with a damaged door entry light that had been bodged together with Araldite. Original genuine 1K09474a lights are a ridiculous price! New or 2nd hand🙄 

I'm not usually into after market stuff but quite impressed these cheap LED entry lights.

20220315_213543.jpg

20220315_213454.jpg

• Like 1

Yes they are lovely when new but over time the image breaks up and becomes a blurry mess.

Last year i changed to the ones that say "superb" instead of the skoda emblem and the drivers door one is already feint, becoming a round light with superb just readable.

shame

• Like 1

On 15/03/2022 at 23:46, Derbyshirebod said:

I bought my Superb with a damaged door entry light that had been bodged together with Araldite. Original genuine 1K09474a lights are a ridiculous price! New or 2nd hand🙄 

I'm not usually into after market stuff but quite impressed these cheap LED entry lights.

I've had those nice cheap lights, but they generated lots of errors in my electronic modules (visible via VCDS). So I put the originals back in. 

23 hours ago, andrehj said:

I've had those nice cheap lights, but they generated lots of errors in my electronic modules (visible via VCDS). So I put the originals back in. 

It's been over a week since I changed the door entry lights and I've not had the dashboard bulb warning activate. VCDS was reporting that the broken door entry light wasn't working, though again no dashboard bulb warnings. I've not scanned the car since I changed the front door entry lights, I can live with bulb error codes if only VCDS shows them.

One of my number plate lights failed so I replaced both with canbus error free LED's which just kept activating the dashboard bulb warning. I couldn't be bothered with adding resistors to stop the bulb warning, so like you I went back to standard bulbs.

Edited by Derbyshirebod

On 19/03/2022 at 19:18, Derbyshirebod said:

It's been over a week since I changed the door entry lights and I've not had the dashboard bulb warning activate. VCDS was reporting that the broken door entry light wasn't working, though again no dashboard bulb warnings. I've not scanned the car since I changed the front door entry lights, I can live with bulb error codes if only VCDS shows them.

One of my number plate lights failed so I replaced both with canbus error free LED's which just kept activating the dashboard bulb warning. I couldn't be bothered with adding resistors to stop the bulb warning, so like you I went back to standard bulbs.

I had no end of trouble with alleged 'Canbus friendly' LED number plate lights.

In the end - upon the advice of the people I bought the bulbs from (and who to their credit refunded me with no questions) I swapped out the Skoda bulb holders with their plug and play LED units and - touch wood - they've been perfect. (I don't work for them by the way.. 😉)

Edited by ethel

On 16/03/2022 at 06:59, superbdreams said:

Yes they are lovely when new but over time the image breaks up and becomes a blurry mess.

Last year i changed to the ones that say "superb" instead of the skoda emblem and the drivers door one is already feint, becoming a round light with superb just readable.

shame

Is this the same for all companies, that the image deteriorates? How about the ones from Kopacek?

On 23/03/2022 at 10:31, ethel said:

I had no end of trouble with alleged 'Canbus friendly' LED number plate lights.

In the end - upon the advice of the people I bought the bulbs from (and who to their credit refunded me with no questions) I swapped out the Skoda bulb holders with their plug and play LED units and - touch wood - they've been perfect. (I don't work for them by the way.. 😉)

Those look to be a much better solution if you get no dash warning lights. Though will they get hot like the inline resistors you could also use to avoid dash warning lights? If you've got resistors getting hot then I assume they must be drawing a lot of current?

A lot of money for number plate bulbs and it's not as though they do anything for the driving experience especially when it only cost 60p for 2 standard replacement bulbs.

On 16/03/2022 at 06:59, superbdreams said:

shame

I'm surprised that they don't last very long?  It's not like they are on for very long .

3 hours ago, Derbyshirebod said:

If you've got resistors getting hot then I assume they must be drawing a lot of current?

Better to assume that they have supplied the lowest possible current rating of the particular resistor they could get away with, they start at 0.6 watt, prior to that 1/4 watt was the smallest.

3 hours ago, Derbyshirebod said:

Those look to be a much better solution if you get no dash warning lights. Though will they get hot like the inline resistors you could also use to avoid dash warning lights? If you've got resistors getting hot then I assume they must be drawing a lot of current?

A lot of money for number plate bulbs and it's not as though they do anything for the driving experience especially when it only cost 60p for 2 standard replacement bulbs.

They are the perfect solution so far as I’m concerned. No warning lights on the dash and the ballast resistors are fitted with what appear to be very effective heat-sinks. 
I appreciate the brighter LED plate illumination isn’t to everyone’s taste but these ones aren’t stupidly bright in the way that some are - ie, they don’t give the impression that you’ve left the reversing lights on and they seem to be a better match for the LED tail lights on my facelift car than the dimmer, yellow incandescent items which were there previously. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Better to assume that they have supplied the lowest possible current rating of the particular resistor they could get away with, they start at 0.6 watt, prior to that 1/4 watt was the smallest.

One of the reasons for using LED's is because they use less energy so doesn't having to use resistors defeats that reason?

I wholeheartedly agree but many people go on a crusade to have white and not "horrible old fashioned yellow lights" (their words) regardless of whether they actually illuminate better in the case of headlight bulbs and then after complaining of fault codes find their "can bus compatible" bulbs are nothing but words (canbus and bulbs should never even be in the same sentence as they are nothing to do with each other) so they bodge in resistors into the wiring loom to draw the current that the incandescent bulb would but producing only heat and not light so actually more heat but in the wiring loom not the headlight probably bound up in insulating tape to hide them to overheat to their hearts content until something melts...................

Meanwhile they complain that their headlights now steam up!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

On 25/03/2022 at 12:33, Noms said:

Is this the same for all companies, that the image deteriorates? How about the ones from Kopacek?

anyone..?

Surely there wont be more than one manufacturer of these so they will all be as poor.

it seems to me that the image could perhaps be stabilized by dripping some clear paint lacquer over the image in the lens. i don't know if the image is on the front or inside so try both?

If the image is on the inside then i assume heat destroys them, if outside well jet washing though then all of mine would have deteriorated.

This will involve dismantling to some degree of course but possible worthwhile.