Superb II vs Octavia ownership costs…

Hey guys. 
I currently drive a 2006 A4 Avant but it’s rapidly becoming a money pit, so I think it’s time for a change. 

I previously had a mk2 Octavia 4x4 estate and would love another Octy but with a little one recently arrived, an even bigger boot would be helpful - Baby’s pushchair takes up half my boot as it is. Also, I’d like the back seats to be comfortable for adults, which in the A4 they’re not really… can’t remember what the Octy was like for that.

So I’m thinking about a Superb… but the key thing is running costs. My day job seems me do a mixture of city driving and 5 - 20 mile motorway stretches mainly. 

I just wondered how much more it costs to own and run a Superb II compared to Octy II? Not just fuel but things like brakes, tyres…  I presume something like the clutch will cost the same on either? 

Would be really grateful for any thoughts or advice!

I'd say there is not much in it, I have a Superb II and my son an Octavia. Mechanically they are very similar and even have the same size tyre so I don't think there will be much in it re running costs. I've also found the closest Haynes manual to be for a VW Golf 09-012!

Insurance may be a touch higher I suppose.

Fuel economy isn't an issue with most engines if you avoid the v6!  eg my 1.4tsi Superb II averages about 46mpg. 

The Superb Estate boot is indeed very large but so is the boot in an Octavia Estate it's not that much smaller. 

However the biggest gain in the Superb is in the interior space length. There is a LOT more rear legroom (not much more width though) and the doors are bigger so B pillar is further back - important for me as I'm 6ft 4" and like a slightly reclined driving position. 

Other considerations :-

Superb is more refined

Superb can be bigger than some parking spots! 

I've seen quite a few rusty mkII Octavias. My friends 2005 Estate will probably terminally fail it's MOT soon. Sills badly rusting + rear estate hatch/door bottoms  showing bad signs of tin worm.  Most Superb II's seem in reasonable body condition although I've found a bad debris trap where front wing joins the sills behind the wing liner - easy to clean out though.

Edited by bigjohn
  • Like 1

Hi,I have superb combi TDI and I love it so.

If you like speed more than comfortable,maybe Octavia is better

Previously had a Octavia 1.9pd. Now rocking with superb 2.0 Tdi (170) I'd say no difference in running costs for me. Economy is slightly worse 45+ mpg from Superb, 50+ mpg octy (mostly dual carrageway). However the comfort, space etc. more than makes up for it. Not seeing any real change for other costs servicing, insurance etc. 

If the cars were same age etc. I would go Superb. This thing is vast in the boot and rear seat accomodation. 

• Like 2