Waterless coolant

Hello all

Is anybody on here using waterless coolant

My Octavia coolant is contaminated and has only been topped up by Skoda dealer since new

I will now have to change my heater matrix and as the contamination must have come from within the engine I am assuming that the inhibitors are not good enough and will flush it out and replace with a good waterless coolant .

many thanks

If your expansion tank has the wording "mit silikat" on it, it's possible the silikat "tea bag" inside has burst causing the contamination. There are many threads on this subject.

If the waterless coolant meets the VW TL 774 standard, why not.

But if that standard isn’t met, I see no reason to pay an extra money for higher risk of possible issues.

I think currently only the OEM one and the one manufactured by BASF are meeting that standard. Their price is almost the same and I believe they are even the same product, but can’t prove it.

My suggestion is to clean the system well, remove the silicon bag(or replace the whole tank if it’s not possible) in case it says Mit Silicat on it, add the G12Evo coolant which is already premixed with water, and don’t touch it in the next 5 years.

Waterless coolant takes out less heat, as it is water that has far greater heat capacity than glycol. Glycol just allows higher running temperatures.

Especially on 2.0TDI vRS it would make a very undesirable difference, with engine routinely running in excess of 95deg C oil temp and a belt-in-oil drive setup for the oil pump.

I can tell you from direct and repeated experience that even with coolant mixed 65 water:35 G12++ for maximum heat capacity, from around 125mph-130mph the oil temperature quickly rises to and above 115degC. 

It is one of the few complaints that I hold against my vRS, all this power good enough only for a few minute spurt on the autobahn, then things get too hot.  This comparing to a good old Mk1 Superb V6 TDI (with 20% less power) that could do this speed for an hour at a time, slowing only for speed limits. Though with current diesel prices, perhaps it is a good thing after all...

Best for the car is to take out the silicate bag, reverse flush the system, and fill up with G12++, ignoring all the "eco" nonsense of later coolants.

Edited by dieselV6