Unreliable Android Auto, anyone?

Sergey Udaltsov

Hello everybody. I have kamiq 2022 with Bolero infotainment and Samsung S20 phone.

Does anybody have issues like I have with Android Auto? To be more exact:

1. Sometimes(!) the car does not connect to the phone properly, fully. I mean that some parts of Android Auto (for example, Google Maps) work but some don't. The most annoying is the sound - if I start youtube (music or video) or some audiobook player on the phone, it immediately returns from 'play' to 'pause', no matter what I do on the phone to fix it. But if I stop the car completely and turn it off, then start again - everything is fine.
  2. Sometimes(!) after I start the car, youtube video on the phone for some while switches (several times) from full-screen to window... And then (no idea why) it decides to stay full screen, as I actually want.

These effects do not actually depend on whether the phone is connected with usb-c cable or not (I even tried different cables) - they are observable even with wireless connection.

Any ideas, comments? Anything I could check? Or should I go to the garage?

I had similar issues when I first started using Android Auto. I discovered the usb socket on my phone was "iffy" (technical term) and that the phone/car setup was very sensitive to cable choice. I don't know whether the fine conductors in cables break or become detached or whatever but I found changinging cables helped.

Also, "not optimising" battery usage also helped - this is not a problem cos the phone will be charging via the cable anyway.

8 hours ago, ayrshiredude said:

Youtube Video on Android Auto on a Bolero???

Youtube video on the phone connected to Bolero. The sound to be played through the car speakers

4 hours ago, georgef said:

I had similar issues when I first started using Android Auto. I discovered the usb socket on my phone was "iffy" (technical term) and that the phone/car setup was very sensitive to cable choice. I don't know whether the fine conductors in cables break or become detached or whatever but I found changinging cables helped.

Also, "not optimising" battery usage also helped - this is not a problem cos the phone will be charging via the cable anyway.

Thank you, I thought about the cable as well - but that happens even when I do not connect the cable at all. It happens with the cable too - I tried various cables, no real difference.

• 3 weeks later...

I had some problems with cables, it was recommended to me that ANKER were very good in the firm connection stakes.

The 'C' port ones that I subsequently bought are the firmest so far.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/05/2022 at 19:11, gumdrop said:

I had some problems with cables, it was recommended to me that ANKER were very good in the firm connection stakes.

The 'C' port ones that I subsequently bought are the firmest so far.

I agree. I've bought several Anker cables and other products off Amazon and have never had an issue with them. Well-made.