034Motorsport (or other) dogbone engine mount insert - opinions please!

Hi,

Has anyone got/used one?

I'm insterested in how the 034Motorsport billet aluminum lower rear engine mount / dogbone mount / torque arm mount insert performs compared to other offerings such as Powerflex, Superpro etc.

Specifically, does it transmit as much NVH to the car body and cabin as the PU type inserts?

I have a CRTDI VRS and already have a Powerflex 704R (the red one) insert, kind of as a quick fix for a really knackered mount.  The NVH is pretty bad at idle and low revs and especially in reverse.  While I love the way it feels to drive, the reverberation is too much and it has to come out.

034 motorsport do a lower insert:

https://www.awesomegti.com/034-motorsport/034motorsport-billet-aluminium-transmission-mount-insert-09-13/

and an upper insert, claiming that without it the unbalanced force of the engine can cause excessive bending moment in the dogbone which may result in failure (hard to believe unless highly tuned and driving like a lunatic) - see video

https://www.awesomegti.com/parts/transmission/mounts/copy-of-034motorsport-billet-aluminium-mqb-upper-dogbone-mount-insert/

Thanks.

I'm not sure how it would bend, being clamped to the mount and with no space to move with the dogbone and within the subframe, but we'll see.  We can write up comparative notes then, because I ordered the 034 one last Friday.

• Like 1

So, just fitted yesterday.  

Biggest positive outcome is the chassis & steering feeling tighter & more responsive.

Reduction in drivetrain slop too is also very welcome.

Also very little extra vibration (more with AC unit running).  I was expecting it to be worse & so if it only improves after bedding in for a few hundred miles, I'm happy!

• Like 3

On 06/05/2022 at 11:02, Duggerchopz said:

So, just fitted yesterday.  

Biggest positive outcome is the chassis & steering feeling tighter & more responsive.

Reduction in drivetrain slop too is also very welcome.

Also very little extra vibration (more with AC unit running).  I was expecting it to be worse & so if it only improves after bedding in for a few hundred miles, I'm happy!

Is your car a diesel? 

Im planning to replace the original mount on mine this weekend, and fit the 034 insert 🤞

Does anyone know the torque settings for all three dogbone/pendulum/torque arm mount bolts? 

20220513_165907.jpg

Cheers. Think I found them:

30lbf for the front two and 74lbf +90° for the rear one 

There'll be far less NVH on your petrol compared to a diesel... I'm really hoping the 034 insert isn't as bad as the Powerflex one 

So I fitted the 034 insert yesterday. I'm happy to report it has exceeded my expectarions.

The Powerflex (red) insert transmitted an unbearable.about of noise and vibration into the cabin, particularly on starting, idle, low revs and reverse. By comparison, the 034 is honestly barely noticeable. 

It doesn't plug the voids in the stock mount, thus allowing it to isolate the vibration of the engine, but it does limit the allowable movement or slop of the mount during heavy engine torque. This results in reduced engine rocking, lift and therefore better traction, response and gear change feel, without loads of noise.

Under heavy load you can definitely feel vibration feedback from the engine, but it's very much damped and doesn't reverberate like the PU inserts do.

This is on a diesel (so would be even better on a petrol), and I caveat that I did also fit a fresh new stock mount.

It feels great, I'd highly recommend for about 90 quid. Note, that he upper part is optional an purported to increase NVH, but if it does at all it's minimal and entirely bearable.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 19/05/2022 at 00:42, mrhappy said:

So I fitted the 034 insert yesterday. I'm happy to report it has exceeded my expectarions.

The Powerflex (red) insert transmitted an unbearable.about of noise and vibration into the cabin, particularly on starting, idle, low revs and reverse. By comparison, the 034 is honestly barely noticeable. 

It doesn't plug the voids in the stock mount, thus allowing it to isolate the vibration of the engine, but it does limit the allowable movement or slop of the mount during heavy engine torque. This results in reduced engine rocking, lift and therefore better traction, response and gear change feel, without loads of noise.

Under heavy load you can definitely feel vibration feedback from the engine, but it's very much damped and doesn't reverberate like the PU inserts do.

This is on a diesel (so would be even better on a petrol), and I caveat that I did also fit a fresh new stock mount.

It feels great, I'd highly recommend for about 90 quid. Note, that he upper part is optional an purported to increase NVH, but if it does at all it's minimal and entirely bearable.

I agree that NVH comming out of Powerflex PU Red insert is terrible... But I still have it installed after more than 2000 miles and somewhat hoping that NVH will reduce 🤦 . So do you still have 034 installed?