Oil overheating and low oil pressure warning

Sandy.Rogers

I have a 2011 110hp diesel 4wd Yeti.  Recently when towing a weighted 14’ trailer I have noticed the oil temp go up to 110/112 degrees and on a couple of occasions the ‘oil pressure low’ warning comes on.  Bizarrely the water temp never goes above 90 degrees at all.

I’ve had an oil change and according to the garage ‘pressures’ are fine - does anybody have an idea why this is starting to happen when previously I’ve. Ever had an issue?

I don’t know if this is a red herring but every now and again (not regularly) if I’ve idled at a junction I get puffs of smoke come out the exhaust 

cheers 👍🏻

Oil temperature not that bad seen similar on my previous 1.8 tsi yeti when giving it some beans , would imagine towing a load would be similar.

If the oil pressure low warning is only recently and I presume you’ve checked the oil level, then I would be questioning what oil was put in at oil change.

• Like 1

VW 504 00 / 507 00 so 5w 30 FS III in area A when checked at operating temp so 90 *oC  or so when parked on the flat.  

is right for when towing as shown in the owners  (know where the level on the dipstick is when cold, but compare when hot.) 

Hopefully the correct Oil & Oil filter was used, the old seal removed and the filter not over tightened. 

w960_4095-227.webp

Edited by roottoot

If you have recently had oil change, did they put correct quantity in, or the correct grade (thickness) of oil

As both the oil and water circulate around the same cylinder block (and metal conducts heat well) if you car is showing over 20c difference in their temperatures towards end of a big run, then I suspect one of the temperature sensors is not accurate, or there is a partial blockage in one system.

3 hours ago, Kenny R said:

Oil temperature not that bad seen similar on my previous 1.8 tsi yeti when giving it some beans , would imagine towing a load would be similar.

If the oil pressure low warning is only recently and I presume you’ve checked the oil level, then I would be questioning what oil was put in at oil change.

The oil change was in the hope to solve the issue - it had no effect 👍🏻

2 hours ago, roottoot said:

VW 504 00 / 507 00 so 5w 30 FS III in area A when checked at operating temp so 90 *oC  or so when parked on the flat.  

is right for when towing as shown in the owners  (know where the level on the dipstick is when cold, but compare when hot.) 

Hopefully the correct Oil & Oil filter was used, the old seal removed and the filter not over tightened. 

w960_4095-227.webp

Hi, thanks for that.  The oil change was in the hope to solve the issue - it had no effect 👍🏻

7 minutes ago, SurreyJohn said:

If you have recently had oil change, did they put correct quantity in, or the correct grade (thickness) of oil

As both the oil and water circulate around the same cylinder block (and metal conducts heat well) if you car is showing over 20c difference in their temperatures towards end of a big run, then I suspect one of the temperature sensors is not accurate, or there is a partial blockage in one system.

Hi, the oil change was in the hope to solve the issue - it had no effect 👍🏻

I will follow up on your suggestions - perhaps the pump?

Hello Sandy.Rogers!  You've been a stranger!  Interesting to know that you still have the 2011 Yeti. 

My 2012 140 diesel used to run routinely at 110/120 deg with the big caravan on the hook.  Only this re-assurance from me, I'm afraid - I'll leave the tech stuff to others. 

Best