e bike buying thoughts

Tilt

30 minutes ago, roottoot said:

But then HALFORDS own Tredz & Wheelies.  So that tells you lots.

I used to use Tredz to buy bikes and had a reliable local delivery driver / bike enthusiast that found time to see what i was getting and help take them out the box.

As for TNT and the other delivery companies, when i worked for a cycle shop we ended up owning bikes we never ordered and having to reorder bikes we had that never arrived.

Well, I contacted eVelo to confirm that all was well with my order ..................... it is.

I now need to take a day off work for delivery.

But guess who they use for delivery .................... I bet you guessed right  ........................ :sick:.

Apparently only TNT will deliver packages of this size ......................

I say 'deliver', but what I mean is they at least 'offer' to deliver ................... (I'd say Lol but at the moment i'm quite annoyed)

• Like 1

Tredz are useless.....I'm sure every time I've looked to order it seems they need to get product in and then deliver it?

Re the German shops...I ordered wheels on a Sunday evening and they turned up on Tuesday afternoon during Lockdown 2020,now it's next to impossible apart from Mantel but £135 limit.

2 weeks into a nigh on 5 week holiday I've realised I could have made a 'Santa' war chest list and had it delivered to our place in France.

Anyhow back on topic....hopefully the new bike turns up 🚴👍

Edited by olduns
  • Thanks 1

Tredz often showed not in stock and a delivery date and they will notify you when in and due for dispatch.

I would order and that night get an Email from the supplier saying dispatched and delivery the next day or the day after, so straight from them to me and never touching Tredz.

They were great, i used 2 years interest free credit with the 1st payment after 12 months, even to buy discounted bikes from them.

Then Halfords bought them, then it all went a bit crap.  As with Wheelies.

Unbelievable. Can you really blame the person taking the bike in at the Uni. It's TNTs mistake and they will be paying for it I'm sure.

Hermes are just as bad.

My other half ordered an E-Bike a couple of weeks ago. It arrived via Hermes and the driver dragged the box out the van and chucked it on its side... Result was a bent mud guard and broken rear light!

The old one is getting taken tomorrow and the new one also being delivered.

Let's see if this one arrives in one piece.

22 hours ago, roottoot said:

They are super popular in the UK which left the EU and because of supply and demand there are not loads to chose from for quick delivery.

Just a while back you could have a ready to ride e-Bike after the bars were turned, delivery to the UK from the EU quicker than you might get one from a UK retailer or distributor. 

http://electricbikesupermarket.co.uk/collections/ktm-e-bikes

I never saw any when I still lived there (May 2018) so I assume there must have been a boom since then. There has also been a boom here. With Corona, lockdown and now rising petrol and energy prices.

It has unfortunately led to massive delivery times. I was looking at getting a Cube but you can forget it. Especially the bigger sizes. They have delivery times of "hopefully some time next year"!

• Haha 1

@roottoot @Phil-E @olduns @Gaz

And anyone else's thoughts..........be much appreciated.

When I got home there was a FedEx header saying 'sorry we missed you' and that I had missed either a delivery OR a collection. I was baffled not expecting anything to do with FedEx.

So, a guy turns up in a van around 6pm, NO writing on the van at all (Reg no Y12 RGS roller shutter tailgate) with the bike from Treds in the back.........

Question, taking into account what has gone on and that I reported it missing / incorrectly delivered (stolen IMO) would you accept delivery of it or not???

And not forgetting I have confirmation of order and delivery of e-Velo's bike order. Delivery tomorrow.

(what's the betting they either turn up with both OR try and deliver the one from Tredz instead.

Cheers guys.

• Like 2

Tough one....

I'd be inclined to not accept the one that was delivered to the Uni....could be anything in there.

Bearing in mind we're talking large items and high value, the less risk you take the better nowadays

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@olduns Thanks. I had the same inclination, mostly based on the fact that it was reported as missing. If I accepted it and signed for it they could say it never went missing.

I don't think it ever even made it to the Uni ...............  (otherwise how'd they manage to get it back. Fake name signed for it.

I think it was stored somewhere and the driver was hoping he might not get found out.

Or the whole delivery company is dodgy.

Need to keep my eye on it now to check it gets back to Treds. And make sure I get payment cancelled. Nightmare.

Cheers for input.

• Like 3

e-Velo bike ((((replacement for Tredz bike lost in transit on Wednesday))))) arrived safe and sound yesterday morning, delivered in a Fed Ex liveried van. ((seems they are taking over TNT I think)).

However, discussing the events of Wednesdays missing delivery with the Fed Ex driver, he tried telling me that the scanners that they use are THAT POWERFUL that it can read other items at the same time or instead of the intended item and that that would be what happened ................ seriously, Lol ................

If that were the case then how come it was signed for at the uni with a FAKE NAME .............

I smell BS ......................... A lot of it.

I just have to hope that Paypal are happy to cancel the order from Tredz and hoping they get the bike back from TNT.

Thanks again for your input guys. :)

• Like 2

All sounds very dodgy.

I honestly think it sounds like the driver was trying something dodgy.

On a positive note my other half's bike was re-delivered by Hermes. And even though he told them several times not to tip it... they tipped it anyway as they couldn't be bothered to use the tail-lift. He took a photo of them tipping it.

But thankfully everything was fine and no damage.

And on the same day I got the email to say my bike was ready for collection. And our housemate also picked his E-Bike up the same day too.

So we went for a ride out yesterday with the trailer attached to my bike for the dog and beer.

It's such a lovely bike to ride and the boost from that motor is just pure joy 😁👍

I just have to be careful with "Turbo" mode. Setting off in anything under 4th gear and the front wheel lifts up! 😂🤣

But I generally find "eco" mode a good balance and kicks in nicely when I pedal harder. I used "Tour" mode a couple of times when going up-hill with the trailer (trailer weighs about 12kg, dog 15kg and a big cool bag with about 16 beers and food etc in).

• Like 2