Superb iV - jump stating another car/ forcing car to start using ICE

Subject line says it all..

In looking at a classic car I might buy but the battery is flat. Can I use my Superb iV to jump start it? Manual only covers jump starting the Skoda. Also, to do it, how can I make the car start & idle on the petrol engine, rather than in electric mode? Saw RAC guy do it but he didn't show me how.

TIA

Colin

Reverse connection from the jump start terminals will do the same job to jump start another car.

In terms of needing to run the engine, this isn't necessary in the iV. There is no alternator, the 12v battery is topped up constantly by a DC/DC convertor connected to the traction battery, so you'll not get a higher output by having the engine on. Edited to add: you will need the Skoda to be "on" in e-mode

For reference, to force an engine start you turn the car on, engage hybrid then set battery percentage to max, it'll automatically kick the ICE into life

Edited by Patent

5 hours ago, Patent said:

Reverse connection from the jump start terminals will do the same job to jump start another car

As much as this will 99% work. Id first read the manual cover to cover to check it mentions nothing about jump starting another car. Just to be on the safe side and prevent a expensive bill.

My thinking behind it is, the massive current surge through the DC/DC converter may be enough to overload it and possibly damage it. The small superb 12V battery is not made to start a car so never needs a massive charge put into it so the DC/DC converter doesn't have to be massive and can have a small current capacity.

That being said it may be perfectly fine but id first make sure you are covered by the manual and if it states not to, well then its on you if you fry something.