Stereo upgrade

This is my current stereo system. I have previously fitted many different systems in cars and my last VRS had a Audio control lc6i with a subwoofer fitted. I would like to do the same with this car, 2014 VRS estate, but I am wondering if I can fit a newer head unit, one with apps etc. Also does anyone know or have a good location to mount a 4" midrange in each door? I have a Audison 3 way component speaker set that I want to install in the future. Failing that I will get a pod. Or maybe the centre dash space. I have seen a mib2 setup on eBay for £500 but don't know if that's a good price or not? Also if I got a 5E0919605m would it work with my glovebox unit? Would there be an improvement in some way? Also how can I get Dab? Thanks in advance for any advice offered.

20220606_184109.JPG

20220606_183135.JPG

20220606_183846.JPG

Looks like you have MIB1 Columbus system fitted. Your screen should be compatible with the later mib2 head units (in the glovebox). That would be the easiest way to get carplay/android auto. Although maybe not the cheapest. If the £500 unit you have found is the right model (mib2) then allow a further £150 for component protection removal at a dealer. Then another £200 for coding by someone like @pab567.

Other options are android based unit (there is a thread on here) or other aftermarket solutions that aren't very popular on here.

As for adding outputs for speakers etc there are a few threads on here with a fair bit of info so take a look around and see what you can find.

Indeed, your unit is Columbus MIB1 with DAB/DAB+ receiver. Direct replacement, that works with your display unit as well as the new display unit you mentioned (5E0919605M), is Columbus MIB2 3V0035020x (or 3V0035021x if you want to add Premium Bluetooth and LTE modem functionality, x means any letter). Another possibility to use any of display units mentioned above is Amundsen 5Q0035874x (x = letter A, B, C) or 565035874. You can also install Columbus MIB2.5 unit 565035020x / 565035021x but this will require display unit 5E0919606D which is expensive and hardluy available.

If you are interested in any of mentioned above units in P&P version pls contact me on PM.

• Like 1

Hi, I had a new MIB2 unit installed in my car last month. Exactly the same situation as the OP with a Columbus system. I found a guy on Ebay, VAG retrofits of Coventry. For £260 all in he sold me an MIB2   unit fitted it in and coded. I can't recommend him highly enough.

Out of curiosity what happens if I buy a mib2 unit and plug it in, will it not work at all, and if so could I get it to work using vagcom etc?

No it won't work.

2 bits of coding need to be done and neither can be done with consumer kit.

First component protection removal by a dealer.

Then coding to match your car by someone like pab567.