Used SE First Edition - what to look for?

Looking at a used 2021 1.0 TSI e-TEC SE First Edition

I'd love to know any tips from anyone of what specific things to look for on this model.

• I've been reading the forums, and have caught the gist of the issues around electronics, so I'll be digging into hardware/software versions on it, but I gather 1896 fixed a few of the main niggles.
    • What I couldn't figure out from reading is if there are specific issues that can't be fixed by software, on particular Hardware models?? i.e. is there a particular head unit hardware model to avoid like the plague?
  • I don't believe the car has ACC, so I think issues around that I can ignore.

But yeah, any specifics to check would be great, outside of the normal stuff one looks for on a test drive.

Thanks.

Firstly, double check which Entertainment & Communication system there is in the SE First Edition you're looking at. If (as I reckon is likely from my experience) it has an 8.25" touchscreen & Swing radio, then it'll be a different set of S/W in that infotainment unit and v1896 is irrelevant.

For context, my SE L First Edition was plagued with a several of the s/w glitches you've no doubt read about. Early April '21, Škoda UK asked for it to be at the dealers for testing, diagnosis and await a fix - that took five months and I got it back in September. During that time, they loaned me a 1.0 TSI e-TEC SE First Edition in which I covered 8500 miles - all of which were without issue of any kind. That car did not have ACC, but did have the standard cruise control & speed limiter. The loan SE FE had the 8.25"/Swing system, not the 10"/Columbus/SatNav in the SEW L and my SE L FE. To add to the confusion, the early SE had a 10"/Bolero system, so why only 8.5" in the SE FE I don't know.

Hope that helps...

- - - - - - 

EDIT:

In case you're interested, attached is the December 2020 brochure.

SKODA OCTAVIA Brochure 21DEC20.pdf

Edited by sneal

Thanks, yep, that's all useful.

I hadn't considered all the issues reported might vary on the headunit types, but that's obvious really I guess.

Yep, the one I'm looking at has a Swing/8.25 system.  But I've also seen 2021 exact same 1.0 TSI e-TEC SE First Edition, with a Bolero/10" system, so does seem to vary what you get.

Good to hear your loaner had no issues.

And thanks for that brochure, I'll have a read of that!

• Like 1

Agree with sneal with all in his post. I cannot understand why  they fitted the smaller screen and Swing audio unit in the SE FE where the SE had what would seem a better spec.

Be aware, one issue I have is excessive lead times on parts. Ref one of my posts, I've been waiting five weeks tomorrow for a replacement  O2 Sensor to clear an Engine Management Light. 

In comparison my wife's Mazda 2 (MY 20) door mirror played up a while ago. The dealer ordered a new motor without having to take the car for inspection, the part arrived the next day. Not impressed with Skoda or the attitude of the dealer.  Beware!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AviationNut said:

I've been waiting five weeks tomorrow for a replacement  O2 Sensor to clear an Engine Management Light. 

Crikey.  I've seen a few of those o2 sensors replaced in my time of several VW/Skodas.  

Is that a Bosch part the dealer has to source through via Skoda, or just the dealer failing to bother sourcing it from elsewhere, I wonder.