3 way component speaker mod

Has anyone done a 3 way component speaker mod on a octavia 2? I’ve been thinking about this way too long and the issue with the sound doesn’t seems to be that everything is played through the big 6.5” woofer so nothing sounds crisp and you end up turning the volume up to hear vocals. I think adding a crossover and a mid range driver and crossover to sort this. it would be awesome if someone’s already done the work.

2CBB2683-887D-44D4-AAE9-2183B5AF9E9F.jpeg

I was thinking of this - do you have the mid already fitted?

Seems the mountings are there to retro fit one but would need to be creative with the wiring look and take the signal before the 6”. 

I also thinking moving the tweeter to the sail panel would sound better than by the door pull. 

If we could run new wires into the door can run it active from an external amp and DSP. 

Not sure of the door connectors have space to run new wires in or around the Molex around the rubber grommet. 

8 minutes ago, SiW80 said:

I was thinking of this - do you have the mid already fitted?

Seems the mountings are there to retro fit one but would need to be creative with the wiring look and take the signal before the 6”. 

I also thinking moving the tweeter to the sail panel would sound better than by the door pull. 

Seen that as googling for hours. Seems to be mounts shared from golf mk6 or superb mk2 but would involve making a hole in the vinyl then putting a grill over that.

9 minutes ago, SiW80 said:

If we could run new wires into the door can run it active from an external amp and DSP. 

Not sure of the door connectors have space to run new wires in or around the Molex around the rubber grommet. 

All nonsense like you don’t know what the words mean. An external amp would only be useful to make this louder and dsp is overly complicated.

44 minutes ago, craycrayfrog said:

Seen that as googling for hours. Seems to be mounts shared from golf mk6 or superb mk2 but would involve making a hole in the vinyl then putting a grill over that.

its the cutting putting me off as I can’t find spare door cards in leather. 

fabric ones can be as cheap as £15 from eBay. 

Just found the parts guy in a dealership and ordered a speaker washer and front mids, he couldn’t find the suitable washer part for the rears. 
I’ll order a Chinesium 3 way crossover now and suitable holesaw and speaker grill once I know correct sizing.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, craycrayfrog said:

so nothing sounds crisp and you end up turning the volume up to hear vocals

Vocals carry most of their information at the higher frequencies. I have a partial loss of hearing at high frequencies so had difficulty in understanding sung words on the car Bolero radio.

The solution was easy. Go into tone setting on the radio and move the treble slider more to the right. Job done.

Are your tone settings still set at the middle positions? 

2 hours ago, craycrayfrog said:

Just found the parts guy in a dealership and ordered a speaker washer and front mids, he couldn’t find the suitable washer part for the rears. 
I’ll order a Chinesium 3 way crossover now and suitable holesaw and speaker grill once I know correct sizing.

Let us know how it goes and please share pictures. 

• 1 month later...