Fabia vrs is it worth fitting aused garrett pd130 to replace my kkk before it dies or just go pd150 or hybrid

Hi all as above really I can get a cheap garrett pd130 off old mk4, golf just don't know if this is worth replacing my leaky triple k with before it dies? 

Or Is it better to just spend more get a pd150 or pd160 new as I do intend to get around a safe 200bhp at some point 

Plus do have the big fmic lying around ready to go on with hard pipes 

Does anyone know if the golf mk4 garrett would be a cheap safe replacement I can stage one map on? 

What will that turbo safely take 170? 

Any advice on this or best turbo upgraged be great as did get offered a gtb 2260 but that's overkill for what I need & be bit laggy compared to pd130-160s 

Plus I read alot ppl had big probs with that 2260 I need reliable power 

Thanks for your opinion you talking about gtb1756vk or hybrid? 

Yeah know what your sayin I have thought about it for me right now toying with either a pd160 off  ibiza cupra r or a gtb1756 vk 

Xmanturbos does one for good price and the 1756 is much more useable for a daily car 

With the 1756 & fmic what do you think I'll see powerwise upto 230? 

Cheers 

Don't be a numbers fairy, they all make about 210 and yours won't be any different.

You'll need to be careful with the clutch and flywheel, a full pull in top gear and it'll probably start slipping.

I'm definatley not! around 200hp is all I'm after really  

Want best reliability and road drivability that's all 

It's only just touching 100k miles but got the long ratio box coming and uprated clutch to go in as well as some 312 brakes 

Are you running the gtb1756? 

All I was really looking for was best turbo advice to fit for the kind of power I'm after?  

Not looking to spend a fortune just do best I can with it as its a daily 

30 minutes ago, Xavi4 said:

It's only just touching 100k miles but got the long ratio box coming and uprated clutch to go in as well as some 312 brakes 

All I was really looking for was best turbo advice to fit for the kind of power I'm after?  

Replace all the boost pipes and limit torque. More torque feels like more fun but puts enormous strain on the drivetrain.

1 hour ago, Xavi4 said:

My big van is a turbodiesel, I wouldn't dream of driving one as a car, petrol only for my cars and bikes. The 1756 should be perfect for you.

6 minutes ago, vindaloo said:

Replace all the boost pipes and limit torque. More torque feels like more fun but puts enormous strain on the drivetrain.

He's uprating the clutch and flywheel as well fitting FMIC and pipe kit so it should be just fine.

43 minutes ago, vindaloo said:

37 minutes ago, sepulchrave said:

My big van is a turbodiesel, I wouldn't dream of driving one as a car, petrol only for my cars and bikes. The 1756 should be perfect for you.

He's uprating the clutch and flywheel as well fitting FMIC and pipe kit so it should be just fine.

I agree with you I do enjoy petrol more than diesel but these fabias aren't bad at all when you wanna go reasonably equick and not blow a load of cash on fuel other wise I'd be back in a petrol turbo s3 stage 4 again lol needs are must with fuel costs the way they are and now having to do huge miles 

28 minutes ago, Xavi4 said:

Anyone else running a fabia on around 200 hp? I'm keen to know what setups your using? 

For 200 BHP you need a 1752 minimum but a 1756 will give you the headroom for 220 BHP, there really aren't any other options since turbine and compressor wheel sizes are limited.

I'm not sure if you understand how diesel turbo sizing works but your options are very limited by the VNT mechanism on a 1.9 PD engine. Bear in mind your standard turbo is sized as a 1749.

220 BHP is the sweet spot on this engine requiring no other mods to intake, injection or exhaust.

Thanks that's the kind of awnser I need no I don't know a huge amount about td tuning but I know a bit I can see what you are saying about the turbo sizing, im aware the kkk is same as garrett pd130 ( gt1749) in size only one that's significantly bigger is the gtb2260vk and that's to big for me, it would be very laggy n boost come in high like petrol upto redline in my mind really is not good thing for a diesel lump. 

I completely agree from what I've read 2-220 is sweet but if anything I'd rather run the lower side 

Main thing fof me is safe reliable power 

I need car daily for work not trying to push it to its limits 

1 hour ago, Xavi4 said:

Thanks that's the kind of awnser I need no I don't know a huge amount about td tuning but I know a bit I can see what you are saying about the turbo sizing, im aware the kkk is same as garrett pd130 ( gt1749) in size only one that's significantly bigger is the gtb2260vk and that's to big for me, it would be very laggy n boost come in high like petrol upto redline in my mind really is not good thing for a diesel lump. 

I completely agree from what I've read 2-220 is sweet but if anything I'd rather run the lower side 

Main thing fof me is safe reliable power 

I need car daily for work not trying to push it to its limits 

It doesn't make any difference to reliability, whether 200 or 220, it's entirely down to your leaden right foot, the engine is strong enough to cope.

Thanks that puts my mind at rest, I'd rather not spend a fortune on the turbo so right now I'm thinking of going with xmans 1756 hybrid as its straight Bolt on where as I'm sure the gtb is better but costs more  requires few bits doing to make it work nothing major but it all adds up. 

End of the day they both do pretty much the same job right? So why not save some cash 

Thanks for the advice can't wait to get it done, 👍

2 hours ago, Xavi4 said:

Thanks that puts my mind at rest, I'd rather not spend a fortune on the turbo so right now I'm thinking of going with xmans 1756 hybrid as its straight Bolt on where as I'm sure the gtb is better but costs more  requires few bits doing to make it work nothing major but it all adds up. 

End of the day they both do pretty much the same job right? So why not save some cash 

Thanks for the advice can't wait to get it done, 👍

That's a very good choice, you'll have your work cut out for you fitting the FMIC so a simpler turbo installation is a bonus.

• 1 month later...

I wouldn’t touch xmans hybrids but that’s just me.

stock gt1749vb (pd150) is good for 190bhp and will need a better intercooler setup.

stock turbo is good enough for me but I’m getting older now :)

Thanks for the advice I'm going to go for the turbo dynamics mdx 446 stage 2 pd130 , since I got a god deal on the garrett I sent to them and they are upping prices  soon, surely a well build turbo from td will be stronger than a stock garrett pd150? I can get the mdx446 for alot less than a new pd150 too so even tho it's not as powerful as the mdx376 I'm sure it must be very close to the 200 mark I'm looking for with very little lag? 

What do you think I'd get out out the td stage 2 fabooka vrs? 

I have done 43,000 miles on a GTB1756 and it has been faultless and drives very nice, my personal opinion is a GTB or GTD turbo will perform better than a GT turbo so if you can afford the extra time and money then best to go for the later designed turbos.

Thanks duck but I'm pushing it just affording a hybrid tbh, & I got loads more to pay for on the carcIf I had the money I'd definatley be going small gtb too

7 hours ago, faboka vrs said:

I wouldn’t touch xmans hybrids but that’s just me.

stock gt1749vb (pd150) is good for 190bhp and will need a better intercooler setup.

stock turbo is good enough for me but I’m getting older now :)

Tbh I'm really thinking you could be right fabooka vrs, for what I want maybe this is the best way to go for now, then in the future get it made into a hybrid if I'm not happy with it 

Well just to let you guys know, Purley down to cost of £700 total and overall reliability long term I've got for the turbo dynamics mdx 446 built from my own garrett pd130. 

I'll be happy with a reliable 190-200 any more is a bous 

Thanks for all your useful Input, I'll let you know once it's been fitted and mapped accordingly what it makes, but really the reliability is the most important for me 

Hopefully the hybrid won't be too much worse mpg wise but I'm sure I'll find out soon 

Cheers