Electric Tailgate not operating normally

Hello

I have a 67 plate L&K and in the past month or 2 i have been getting some issues with my electric tailgate. When i press either the latch on the boot or the centre console button the tailgate lifts about 30cms and stops. I have to press the button repeatedly to get it to go up but it goes up in stages. More recently it can refuse to open at all and i have to lift it manually. The key opening is also non functioning as well.

Closing seems to be fine but there are occasions when the latching mechanism is tight and the lid needs a nudge to lock into place. 

I have read the other threads and it looks like its probably struts but some mention a NW sensor and i wasn't sure what that was.

If i get the vehicle codes what should i be looking for to diagnose the struts or any other faults?

• 2 months later...
On 12/09/2022 at 20:16, pdrisc said:

Bumping this to see whether anyone has seen a similar fault and maybe missed this post. 

Hi yes I had exactly the same symptoms ... It was the strut luckily I had purchased a year 6 warranty but dealer only replaced one. The other failed soon after and again was replaced under warranty.

Edited by Nick_H

3 hours ago, pdrisc said:

Thanks Nick

Thought that might be the case. Will get some ordered. 

Did you go with a main dealer or aftermarket supply?

Was under extended warranty so dealer sorted.

• Like 1

On 14/09/2022 at 15:59, pdrisc said:

Thanks Nick

Thought that might be the case. Will get some ordered. 

Did you go with a main dealer or aftermarket supply?

That is a very very big jumping of the gun.

there are so many possible things that could be causing it and the struts cost £500 each…

why not get the fault diagnoses first to confirm if it is a tailgate strut opposed to something else and much cheaper?

1 hour ago, ApertureS said:

That is a very very big jumping of the gun.

there are so many possible things that could be causing it and the struts cost £500 each…

why not get the fault diagnoses first to confirm if it is a tailgate strut opposed to something else and much cheaper?

Agreed you also need to know which strut !

• Like 1