Tow bar fitting

Arizolas

So I bought a 68 plate karoq. 

I usually have a towbar on all my vehicle as I do a lot of biking. 

I bought the SEL model 

Has  anyone had a towbar fitted by so eone other than skoda themselves? 

Will it cause issues with the sensor/camera or any other features. Apparently if the car has city breaking this will need additional electrics.  I am unsure if the SEL had this. 

Any advice would be awesome 👌🏻 

I forked out for the (expensive) Skoda electric tow bar soon after we bought our '68 SEL.  Had it fitted by my local dealer.  It hasn't affected any of the electrics.

I assume that "city braking" is whereto car jams on the brakes if it thinks you are going to hit something  No problem in normal driving without the trailer, it still works, usually when I am reversing too close to bushes in a car park.  It is certainly disabled when the car is towing something.  It never occurred to me to test it when I last used the clamp on bike carrier.  Logic would assume that plugging in the light bar is the "trigger" to disable the revering sensors.

Being well past  my "threescore......"  the electric tow bar is a revelation, no more grovelling on hands and knees to fit the tow ball bit into its socket.

tom

I bought a 2019 2.0tdi SEL last year and had a detachable Tow-Trust towbar fitted by a local mobile company.

I had it coded to the Karoq and all works well. I tow a caravan.

With caravan connected and in reverse, the display shows a symbol of car with a caravan. The rear parking sensors are disabled but the camera still works.

(the reversing camera is ideal for hitching up)

I recently tried reversing a trailer for someone and didn't connect the electrics as I was only going across a yard. I got about half a meter and the brakes slammed on as it thought I was goint to hit something. I connected the electrics and all worked as it should.

I know that when the towbar is coded to the vehicle it changes a lot with something connected but I'm not too sure what!

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/06/2022 at 12:17, Sanqhar said:

the electric tow bar is a revelation

It is also good for a ‘nudge nudge wink’ moment when demonstrating to others! 

Something worth watching out for is if you are using the old 7 pin plug with an adapter into the modern 13 pin type. The car doesn’t always recognise them. I have several things that I tow and also a bike carrier, some on 7 pin with adapter and some on the 13 pin. One of my trailers is fitted with those magnetic pre-wired tail light sets (from the jungle website) and whilst the lights work as they should the car doesn’t recognise they are plugged in and also bongs at me that a tail lamp bulb is out, I assume this to do with how it’s wired, I believe that both tail lamps share the same wire were usually they would be wired separately (i.e the car thinks there is only one tail lamp). Everything else I use works fine. This is a factory fitted tow bar on a Kodiaq. Apologies for the ramble, thought it might be food for thought for you.