Treating rust in tailgate

The paintwork on my 11 year old car is really good except that a few years ago I noticed rust around the number plate lights on the tailgate.

The last two summers I have tried to treat the rust and touch the paintwork back up, but however carefully I prepare and paint the rust starts re-appearing again after a few months. I have so far used a couple of different rust treatments - Flag Rust Converter and Kurust.

Has anyone managed to succesfully stop the rust in this area and if so what did you use/do?   Please don't suggest a new tailgate!

You're not going to like this, but my '10 plate was repaired several times yet it always came back. A new tailgate was ultimate solution.

I put it down to a poor quality weld.

I'm a fan of Owatrol oil. Pull out the lights and blather the stuff inside and out (underneath). I've done this on my Superb II as a precautionary measure as others have mentioned this issue - as yet it's perfect. It's a fantastic rust inhibitor and sets to a kind of clearish resin finish - can be painted over (if needed!!)  or even added to paint! It's resistant to being washed off.

PS it's really good at preserving subframes (eg engine subframe) and suspension components. I've also used on rusting seams on mrs BJ's 06 Fiat Panda - they have held up well for a few years after treatment. 

Edited by bigjohn

• 1 month later...

I too have considerble rust on tailgate near the number plate lights and along the aboce seam. Does not look like Skoda are interested from inspection at Sytner Llandudno recently on my 2010 otherwise exceptionally well cared for mk2 VRS CR. Looks like I'll be facing a mamoth fight with Skoda. Loyal to the Vw brand/stable for years...nothing but Vw's to be honest. I'm just hoping that Skoda UK are keeping an eye on these forums too. Will report back. Posted 05/09/22

• Confused 1

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/479075-tailgate-rust

Welcome.

If it is exceptionally well cared for why is it only being picked up on now?

Skoda UK will say the car should have had Body Inspections every 2 years. 

NEWER SKODA / VW EMPLOYEES MIGHT SAY @ 3 YEARS, BUT THAT IS BECAUSE SINCE 2020 THEY CAME UP WITH 'EXTENDED SCOPE'.

THEY ARE SO NEW THAT THEY CAN NOT THING SERVICING USED TO BE MINOR / MAJOR and Fixed Servicing intervals. 

Back in 2010 there were Service Books and at each Service page a page for the Body Inspection report.

Then and now at a Main Dealers a Body Inspection was supposed to be part of what you paid for.

*If a car has a Full Main Dealer Service History, then Skoda UK know which of the Dealerships are not doing Body Inspections and reports, they have a history of where these are.*

The Warranty T&C's never said then and still do not now say that an Annual or bi-annual or periodic body inspection or report are required.

Saying / reporting that you see rust on a car @ 11-12 years old for the first time and expecting them to do something is a bit much IMO. 

http://theguardian.com/money/2022/jul/13/why-didnt-skoda-make-its-fabia-warranty-terms-clear

MIX UP HERE by WHOEVER WITHOUT ENOUGH KNOWLEDGE.

The Paint Warranty & Corrosion warranty are different things. The Pain Warranty expired @ 3 years. 

Screenshot 2022-09-06 05.47.22.png

SKODA_Warranty_Terms_November_2021.pdf

Edited by roottoot