Drivers side window switches

Hello,

Today the drivers side window switches in my 66 plate Superb III have "failed". By failed, for lack of a better descriptive mode all the switches have gone "limp and floppy". Almost seems like there's a power issue? 

Before I go and attempt to extract any useful help from the local Skoda garage (who're normally less than helpful) I figured I'd post here and see if there's anything obvious/this is a common issue. A quick search suggests possibly the wiring loom in the door?

The mirrors still adjust and the windows still work (both with the other switches and the key).

Thanks

That will be a fairly straight forward diagnosis - The switch pack has failed and needs replacing.

No coding or anything needed so just plug and play a new or second hand part.

If you have a decent trim removal tool you can even do it without removing the door card

Ok, didn't think it'd be that simple as all the switches seem to have gone limp, seemed more like an electrical thing rather than hardware but very happy to be wrong if that's the case! I did go a bit down the rabbit hole, seems to be common that the wiring loom in the door frays but this looks like a significantly cheaper option!

Part number 5G0959857C?

45 minutes ago, CBas said:

Ok, didn't think it'd be that simple as all the switches seem to have gone limp, seemed more like an electrical thing rather than hardware but very happy to be wrong if that's the case! I did go a bit down the rabbit hole, seems to be common that the wiring loom in the door frays but this looks like a significantly cheaper option!

Part number 5G0959857C?

The wiring in doors isn’t nearly as much a problem on mk3 as older versions.

also how would a broken wire cause a physically loose button?

the bottom of the switch pack has most likely fallen out meaning all the switches will of gone limp. Change the switch pack

Roger, will try that.

The reason I thought it might be electrical was that the switch for the passenger side went about a week ago and was bouncing around when any of the other switches were used, like it was getting shorted or something.

Worst case I've not lost anything by replacing the unit though so will give that a go.

Forgot to say in previous post, thank you for your help. Much appreciated. Now I just need to find the part number for my missing bit of window trim and the car will be good as new.

• Like 1

Had this on mine recently, the white plastic toggles between the switch and circuit board disintegrated.  When ordering make sure you get the right switch panel, mine was 5G0 959 857 D WHS.  This is the one with the large 'disable the windows' button.  The other one has the child lock enable/disable buttons on it.

• 5 months later...

Can someone show how they got the switch plate out of the door please?  Does it just lever out or do you have to take the internal door card off the door?

I have to change the round switch that operates the door mirrors.

Many thanks

You will need thin trim remove Tools.

Mask Blue area with tape in case trim tool slips and scratches plastic.

Orange arrows, start here. Once this area is lifted you can slot a credit card in there to keep the gap where are you use your trim removal tools on the next next stage.

Green arrows next. 

Blue arrow, trim just hooks under here, no prying required.

It will then lift out allowing you to disconnect the two block connectors for the windows and mirrors.

It is a tight fit but will pop up as you work your way around.

Screenshot 2023-01-11 at 10.44.51 a.m..jpg

Edited by Steviedakota
  • Like 2