Anyone in Ayrshire available to help with a stubborn sump plug?

Martini06

2 minutes ago, varooom said:

What tool was you using to undo?

I only got spanners and sockets, no fancy tools and the shops are closed 😕 thought perhaps someone stronger than I could help, last time it came off no problem must have been over tightened then 😩

Did you try a spanner on the end of ratchet to increase the torque?

Only say as one young mechanic I watched was trying to undo a top mount, and failing, told him to increase torque by extending the length.

If you do try this, don't go wrenching it, try to apply it steadily.

Edited by varooom
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, varooom said:

Did you try a spanner on the end of ratchet to increase the torque?

Only say as one young mechanic I watched was trying to undo a top mount, and failing, told him to increase torque by extending the length.

If you do try this, don't go wrenching it, try to apply it steadily.

I was just using the 3/8 and 1/2 ratchets, the stupid thing has started to wear, the sockets won't fit properly and I don't want to end rounding it 🙄

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, varooom said:

That was my fear, rounding off the plug.

Best to increase torque gently.

2 choices, try again with extended torque, or await for help.

I'm waiting 😂😂

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Martini06 said:

I'm waiting 😂😂

That's it sorted, all it took was a brave recovery call and a helpful technician with an impact wrench,  amused the man on  Sunday night 😂

Edited by Martini06

7 hours ago, Martini06 said:

That's it sorted, all it took was a brave recovery call and a helpful technician with an impact wrench,  amused the man on  Sunday night 😂

Time for a new sump plug, so you won't have to deal with a slightly rounded-off one next time?

10 hours ago, varooom said:

That was my fear, rounding off the plug.

Best to increase torque gently.

2 choices, try again with extended torque, or await for help.

It's the other way round, if you gently apply force, you're more likely to round a fixing than if you shock it.

My normal method with sump plugs on vags is to put a ring spanner on, apply a tiny bit of pressure, then tap it round with a mallet. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you flip over the left oil cap, the spring should fit in the bottom, then the small black part fit in, showing the silver spring part inside it visible towards you?

Best guess

Does yours look like this when flipped?

1018756093_045115433E-RealImage.png.0f7c3668fe5833d9303b22eeab051727.png

The Spring and black part are not exploded in this image, but should be able to fit together

546942308_045115433E.thumb.png.e26a12f919cbc7d943256415acf8c319.png

It does look like this, it actually came apart when removing the old filter but it clicked back together. Those are 2 different springs however, one in the cap and the large one from the picture in ebay, my car didn't have the big one was just wondering about the assembly 🤔 can't find any images from manuals or even oil change videos that would include that spring, suppose it could go inside the filter as well, then join the small black part with the silver spring? 

Sadly not seen anything in the documents like this either, barely anything on this.

I did find that your cap has several choices, so it appears you can swap the smaller black item depending on filter used.

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/quinton-hazell/18414767

My only assumption is the spring is to make sure the filter presses down on the filter via the smaller black part fitted, and that the spring goes in the black cap itself.

Bit like yesterday, you may have to wait for the help to arrive, where someone has fitted these before and can let you know.

That would explain why there are no instructions regarding fitting a spring when assembling the filter and cap, if it's supposed to go inside the cap which doesn't need opening 🤔😂

12 hours ago, Martini06 said:

You called out a breakdown recovery service on a Sunday night because you were struggling doing an oil change?

Brave is not the word I would have chosen.

24 minutes ago, J.R. said:

You called out a breakdown recovery service on a Sunday night because you were struggling doing an oil change?

Brave is not the word I would have chosen.

And who else was going to help me on a Sunday night? I stay in a small village, workshops and shops were closed

Its not often that I am speechless.

I'm glad that I am self sufficient and dont expect others to bail me out, I stopped paying breakdown insurance premiums 25 years ago because I objected to the way that Green Flag was promoting their service with an Italian Job cameo showing a bimbo painting her nails in her car whilst causing gridlock  while the knight in shining armour battled his way to change her unctured wheel for her.

9 hours ago, J.R. said:

Its not often that I am speechless.

I'm glad that I am self sufficient and dont expect others to bail me out, I stopped paying breakdown insurance premiums 25 years ago because I objected to the way that Green Flag was promoting their service with an Italian Job cameo showing a bimbo painting her nails in her car whilst causing gridlock  while the knight in shining armour battled his way to change her unctured wheel for her.

No wonder, sounds quite sexist tbh