a multitude of electrical problems

woody3437

I have had  my  2015 Roomster 1.2tsi from new ,35000miles on the clock, it's always been reliable  till this Sunday. driving to London from Dewsbury to visit my new granddaughter  was very stressful.

We had driven about 70miles through rain and sunshine using wipers frequently, then after a period of dry weather the front wipers came on by themselves, I could not switch them off ,the removal of the fuse did nothing ( the fuse layout didn't seem to correspond with handbook),I called out Green Flag when waiting for them the tailgate lock popped open and wouldn't remain locked.  Green Fag arrived and disconnected the tailgate solenoid plug in  tailgate, I could have done all these as I'm a retired mechanic ! 

We decided to continue our journey as everything else worked, after about an hour we stopped for a toilet break, I replaced  the fuse as it started to rain, the car behaved it's self and  acted normally, a  hour or so later the rear wiper started to work on it's own, I operated front wash-wipe and it stopped, near the end of our journey the front interior lights came on and the door open w-light  came on, they went off on application of the footbrake. When we arrive at our destination the front wipers came on again, I removed fuse the  vehicle  wouldn't central lock by fob or key ( not sure if the fuse I removed was on that circuit ) the alarm light flashed and then stayed on along with door open w-light ,I put the car in my son's  garage and disconnected battery earth lead ,didn't use from Sunday afternoon till Wednesday  lunchtime when I reconnected battery ,everything worked as normal when I replaced fuse and drove 200 plus miles home with no problems.  Anyone had problem like this ?

It does sound like some water got inside the car maybe?  Cannot be certain that is the case, as you may have some temporary issue that might become permanent in time.

Have you still got any scan tools left over from your retirement?  There are members with access if not, and I'm not too far away if stuck for a scan.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input ,I have found out that the fuse I removed (24) is for the central control unit ,hence ,no central locking, I haven't had any problems with water ingress  to my knowledge, I thought possibly 2 options wiring or  body control module. 

I never bought any diagnostic equipment ,where I worked  have vehicle specific diagnostics, I know that  diagnostics can be a minefield and lead you down the wrong path ,CANBus can be  a right pain . Thanks for the offer.

• Like 1

Good you found the fuse and stuffed it back in.  You're right on diagnostic equipment and knowing how to interpret, not being too literal.

Thought was to see if you had any short to earth reported things of that nature, as can help you narrow down your focus.

Mentioned the water as it was raining, and you had issue's, then after a few days with car sat up it was good for the drive home, could be a red herring.

Offer still stands if needed.