Information Display / on-board computer

I am trying to set up the onboard computer on my 2-month old L&K to display fuel consumption etc. and set excessive speed warning. I have followed the instructions in the manual but these items do not appear on any of the menus! According to the manual they are in the MF display menu. When I press the button to get this menu it returns to the default display - no menu appears!

According to the sales brochure a trip computer is standard equipment on the Ambiente so surely I should have these functions on the L&K?:confused: :confused: :confused:

I have 'phoned Skoda UK who told me to speak to my dealer. I phoned the dealer and explained the problem to the service manager who said that he "hadn't a clue" and suggested I go through the manual.:(

Fuel consumption should be there - just use the rocker switch on the end of the wiper stalk to scroll to the correct function. if you want to reset it scroll to the function and hold the button on the bottom of the wiper stalk in until it resets.

I think to set the maximum speed warning (and I did this a long time ago so I could be wrong), you use the rocker switch on the end to scroll to the maximum speed setting, then hold the button on the bottom of the wiper stalk in while driving at the speed you want to set until it sets.

Good luck.....

Thanks for all your replies. It sounds like I have a problem. My L&K has the maxidot display but some of the menu options mentioned in the manual just do not appear on the display.

It seems that I cannot access the "MF display" menu so cannot display fuel consumption and trip information, or set excessive speed warning thingy. (If I get nicked for speeding because I am unable to set the warning, do you think Skoda UK will pay the fine??;) )

In the 'Setup' menu I can choose in which units fuel consumption is displayed but I cannot find how to actually display this information.

It is hardly a major problem but having paid for all these electronics I naively expect them to work...

Looks like I will have to discuss it with the Service Manager who, in his own words, "didn't have a clue".:(

It seems that I cannot access the "MF display" menu so cannot display fuel consumption and trip information, or set excessive speed warning thingy.

I thought the Fuel consumption, distance time etc etc were basic standard features regardless of Maxi Dot, they were on the Mk1 Octy and and basic Fabia & Octy I ever drove, something sounds strange.

It would be the case that something is stopping you viewing them, eg door/boot open for example, I know on mine they have to be close, but it displays that :confused:

You should be able to call up info on your fuel consumption etc using the rocker switch located on the end of the RHD stalk, but the ignition must be on. Rocking the switch takes you thru the menu which shows up on the centre of the instrument panel. Once you have something you want displayed push the rocker switch in and this sets the selected menu item.

We raised this thing about the audible speed warning before and someone said it was not available on vehicles sold in this country and it does say in the handbook it is only in selected countries. I have tried to use it on my Elegance, but no joy so I guess it is not on the UK models.

I have come to the conclusion that Skoda UK so called service staff do not know very much about their product or the spec levels applying to the UK.

The Owners Handbook is also a bit vague on some information, which does not help.

You should be able to call up info on your fuel consumption etc using the rocker switch located on the end of the RHD stalk' date=' but the ignition must be on. Rocking the switch takes you thru the menu which shows up on the centre of the instrument panel. Once you have something you want displayed push the rocker switch in and this sets the selected menu item.

We raised this thing about the audible speed warning before and someone said it was not available on vehicles sold in this country and it does say in the handbook it is only in selected countries. I have tried to use it on my Elegance, but no joy so I guess it is not on the UK models.

I have come to the conclusion that Skoda UK so called service staff do not know very much about their product or the spec levels applying to the UK.

The Owners Handbook is also a bit vague on some information, which does not help.[/quote']

The speed warning works on mine ok. Just drive up to the desired speed, press the appropriate button and its set

You should be able to call up info on your fuel consumption etc using the rocker switch located on the end of the RHD stalk, but the ignition must be on. Rocking the switch takes you thru the menu which shows up on the centre of the instrument panel. Once you have something you want displayed push the rocker switch in and this sets the selected menu item.

This works for most of the menu options but the fuel consumption, trip computer and speed warning menu does not appear so I cannot select anything from it! :thumbdwn:

If You have Maxi-DOT (a full size, black background LCD displaying graphics and text in white), You have the option choosing the information You want it to display.

1. MF display: this shows trip1 and trip2 counters (in km or miles - it also can be set), mileage, distance you can drive with current level of fuel, speed warning, etc. This was the default on mine and I think on other cars too.

The other options are:

- displaying radio information ONLY, all the other function are unavailable

- error code entries (All you can see is "No entry" if there's no entry)

- ooops, I can't remember, I always use the MF mode...

You can choose between these mode in the following way:

- press and keep pressing the "down" button of rocker swith of wiper stalk for more than 1 second and now You can see the menu.

- You can navigate through the menu by pressing "up" or "down"

- You must select "MF display" what's on top of list by pressing the lone swith on the bottom side of wiper stalk

Now, that You selected the MF display mode, you can use the rocker swith to display different informations: actual fuel consumption, trip counter, fule consumption of the trip, trip time, miles to go with fuel in tank, etc.

If You want to set the speed exceeding warning, you must navigate to its menu by pressing "up" or "down". You'll see "Exceeding speed limit --- mph/h" or something like this.

Now You must accelerate to the speed You want to set as limit and at that moment it happens, You must press the button on the bottom of wiper stalk and the current speed will be displayed and set as limit.

From now on every time when You exceed this speed You'll hear a "ding" and the warning will be displayed. The reason I do not use this function is that the warning message reamins on the display and no other information can be seen until I slow down below the limit.

The other reason is that I keep a little dangerous setting speed limit while driving since I must stare at the speedometer instead of the road if I want to set it precisely.

A far less dangerous way to get speed limit exceeding warning is setting the "Winter tyre" option, since here You can set the speed limit using the "up" and "down" switch by 10 km/h increments.

It can be more suitable if You don't change the limit very often.

Joemaster - thank you very much for that comprehensive reply. I wish you had written my owners' manual :thumbup:. The problem seems to be that I wasn't holding down the button for long enough. (D'oh!:o ) I discovered this while stuck in a traffic jam on my way home yesterday. Unfortunately, as a result of the fact that I was sitting in a traffic jam I set the excessive speed warning to 0 mph and was stuck with a warning in the display that I was exceeding 0mph until I worked out how to change it!!!

I agree that driving up to the excessive speed and setting the warning is very dangerous. I was going to set it to 80mph but I feel that when driving at that speed I should be looking where I am going and not at a dashboard display while trying to change a computer setting! I had already set the winter tyres setting to 80mph. I may have to go for a little trip on the M25 tomorrow and see if it works...;)

I set the excessive speed warning to 0 mph and was stuck with a warning in the display that I was exceeding 0mph until I worked out how to change it!!!

:rofl: :rofl:

The problem seems to be that I wasn't holding down the button for long enough. (D'oh!:o )

Easily done:thumbup:

Btw Can you get your mpg, distance travelled etc etc now ?

Btw Can you get your mpg' date=' distance travelled etc etc now ?[/quote']

Yes thanks - but I haven't yet worked out how to change between trip 1 & trip 2.

The ever-helpful:rolleyes: manual also mentions a menu option for 'auxiliary heating' which doesn't appear in any of my menus I can see but maybe this isn't fitted on UK cars. There is no mention of it in the sales brochures.

Yes thanks - but I haven't yet worked out how to change between trip 1 & trip 2.

To change, Push the button on the bottom of the right hand stalk in quickly, that will change trips over.

To reset trips press and hold button.

The ever-helpful:rolleyes: manual also mentions a menu option for 'auxiliary heating' which doesn't appear in any of my menus I can see but maybe this isn't fitted on UK cars. There is no mention of it in the sales brochures.

Sorry if this has been mentioned but with MaxiDot pressing and holding lower part of Rocker switch brings you into another menu, you can change from MPG to L/KM, and change other things. :thumbup: (I'm still :confused: as to weather you actually have Maxi Dot ;) )

Yes, I do have maxi-dot and it does look something like that but thankfully mine is in English:D !

One of the menus allows you to change the language but personal experience (with an iPod) has taught me that you should never change a device to a language you don't know - it is then very difficult to change it back..:o

P.S. Also, thankfully, mine said 26 C today - not 6 C :) :) .

Joemaster - thank you very much for that comprehensive reply. I wish you had written my owners' manual :thumbup:. The problem seems to be that I wasn't holding down the button for long enough. (D'oh!:o ) I discovered this while stuck in a traffic jam on my way home yesterday. Unfortunately' date=' as a result of the fact that I was sitting in a traffic jam I set the excessive speed warning to 0 mph and was stuck with a warning in the display that I was exceeding 0mph until I worked out how to change it!!!

I agree that driving up to the excessive speed and setting the warning is very dangerous. I was going to set it to 80mph but I feel that when driving at that speed I should be looking where I am going and not at a dashboard display while trying to change a computer setting! I had already set the winter tyres setting to 80mph. I may have to go for a little trip on the M25 tomorrow and see if it works...;)[/quote']

I'd write the owner's manual if Skoda would provide me the necessary information AND all the model range to try it in real life. After gathering the experiences it would be a suitable job for me to compose and edit the manual.

I'm really happy that I could help You! :-)

One more thing:

I tried to play with Maxi-DOT and started to panic when I found that the "Audio" option is disappeared from my menu - I just had the STREAM CD player changed 2 weeks ago and worried If they had to set something up in the computer too...

Then I realized, that STREAM was OFF. I pushed the button and the "Audio" opction appeared in the menu immediately. Nice. :-)

One of the menus allows you to change the language but personal experience (with an iPod) has taught me that you should never change a device to a language you don't know - it is then very difficult to change it back..:o

P.S. Also' date=' thankfully, mine said 26 C today - not 6 C :) :) .[/quote']

It's true, especially when Your job is to set someone else's mobile phone back to Your language, because the owner set it to greek...

But these kind of situations teach You a few words like "set up, settings, language, display" in many other languages! :D

The first time I rushed to the neighbouring gyros buffet run by a greek man and asked him to help. Next time I managed to solve this problem by myself. :thumbup: