Sun roof rattle/creaking 🥴

Sorry is this has been covered before but my sunroof is annoying the he'll out of me, mainly creaking when driving and knocking slightly on bad roads.

Question has anyone had this issue and had it fixed, what needs to be done?

*2014 octavia vRS saloon*

Thanks

Is it the actual roof or your headliner that is creaking? 

I have the sunroof and it's not the actual roof but the headliner that I find creaks/rubs during the summer.  During winter there's usually less noise from it as the parts contract and thus there is less rubbing/creaking.

Oh and if anyone has a fix... I'd also be all ears but I don't find it too bothersome to be honest.

Edited by Insearchofaskoda
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Insearchofaskoda said:

Is it the actual roof or your headliner that is creaking? 

I have the sunroof and it's not the actual roof but the headliner that I find creaks/rubs during the summer.  During winter there's usually less noise from it as the parts contract and thus there is less rubbing/creaking.

Oh and if anyone has a fix... I'd also be all ears but I don't find it too bothersome to be honest.

It's just me, any slight knocks etc my head wonders to the point I almost forget I'm driving, my wife puts keys in passenger door and it's drives me crazy, my music volume is usually turned high 😅

• Like 1

I have reduced this issue to almost zero. If you unclip the roof liner and put some lanolin grease on the clips then clip it back in this will fix most of the noise. The noise comes form the movement of the roof liner moving as you turn or lean where it clips in.

It was driving me insane as well and totally understand.

• Like 4

Guide to unclip the roof lining is quite simple. I only unclipped the 4 corners. Just give it a tug and it should pop out. You can then have a look where the clips are and put a small amount of lube on them. Clip them back in and should be fine. May come back a little in warmer weather but do the same and will eventually be fine.

• Like 1

On 16/09/2022 at 23:43, bmask90 said:

Sorry is this has been covered before but my sunroof is annoying the he'll out of me, mainly creaking when driving and knocking slightly on bad roads.

Question has anyone had this issue and had it fixed, what needs to be done?

*2014 octavia vRS saloon*

Thanks

I had the same problem with the 2014 Octavia RS... a lot of cracking when opening when it was dry and warm outside. It also cracked when driving on bad roads as you are describing. 

I have solved this by cleaning the sunroof rails and around the frame, then I have used grease in spray. I guess you can use silicone spray too as long it lubricates the moving parts, I have sprayed the rails and mounts of the window, every part that is moving ---> the cracking and annoying noises are gone for me 👌

• Like 1