OEM Screenwash?

Dappernut

I've been using el cheapo Halfrods screen wash concentrate for the last coupe of years though I've noted it doesn't seem to do a particularly spectacular job of degreasing and cleaning the windscreen on the Kodiaq.  Whilst casting around for alternatives it's come to my attention that VAG don't recommend non-OEM addative due to possible damage to the washer pump and also a potential lack of effectiveness using el cheapo with the fan style washer jets.  My first instinct is this is all bogus just to make a little more cash with expensive screenwash, however given my disatisfaction with the performance of el cheapo on the Kodiaq vs my previous Ford, I wonder if there might actually be something in it.  Any thoughts? 

Their special only use our Tears of an angel windscreen wash because we have fantastic fan schoosers is nonsense.

Watch what stuff you do use or mix because you can get a bacteria build up, and you get get stuff that jells up and is horrible.  

That can be the H20 you use and the wash fluid, or 2 different wash fluids.

Loads of threads in various sections over the years.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/500965-screen-wash-tablets

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/474976-screenwash

Edited by roottoot

I've used Halfords own Berry concentrated screenwash stuff in Skoda's with fan jets since 2001 (Fabia, Octavia and Kodiaq) with no issues whatoever. 

I’ve never bought consumables from dealers.

It’s not their forte.

Over half a century of motoring I’ve used a lot of screen wash from Halfrauds and similar outlets.

More recently have been using Prestone. Summer and Winter blend.

Never had a problem with washer pumps.

Typical manufacturer/dealer BS.

Same here, just to add to the weight of numbers.  Any old screenwash, but NOT washing-up liquid.  (Did that many years ago and it doesn't work well - forms little balls after a while and blocks jets).  An occasional wipe of the wiper blades with a bit of kitchen roll soaked in vinegar can help if the screen gets a bit streaky or greasy.

I'll just stick to what I've always done then.

I note that the Kodiaq seems to be less effective at washing and wiping it's screen than my previous cars.  I'm RHD in the UK and the drivers side is OK-ish but the passenger side is frequently an appaling mess for some reason.

• 3 weeks later...