2013 rapid misting up, also when raining

Well.

long time follower, but had to join, to create a post, so bear over with my writing, i am from Denmark ;)

i had my rapid for 2 years now, and it always misted up inside, while in moist weather or heavy rain.

i read in the forums back when i got it, and the door drains front and back are modded, so the seal doesnt hold back water.

when driving, specially now in this weather, cold damp and moist, it tends to mist up on all windows all way around, turning on the manual ac defogs it, but it commes back when off..

i either have to open front windows a smidge, or drive with ac on, but i am not the best of friends with the dry air in the long run 😞

the best example i have is about a month ago in warm dry weather, we drove in a sudden rainstorm, hail and everything(feared dends and cracked windows) strait away misting of windows.

drove home, parked the car, no slushing sounds from the doors, next day, sun shinning and 30degrees C, car parked in the sun, all clear windows, with no mist/fog whatsoever, so the car is dry inside...

a sidenote, the car had fitted a new front screen when i got it, and last week i took a look under the wiper assemply, drains all free and clean, but i could look stright into the blower motor, i would believe there should be a splash guard of some sort, and the mesh was missing, i ordered the mesh, skoda 6y0819044a .  but the parts rep. Couldnt see that there should be a splash guard on the Rapid.

so what do u guys think, is this the way the rapids are, or is it rain water from doors that someway fog up the windows?

the recirculation flap is working, opening and closing... i even drive without the cabinfilter, just to try differenr things...

sorry for the long post, but i think i got everything..

Any tips are welcome.

Welcome.

Have you checked the spare tyre well is dry?

You are doing the sensible stuff.

When you can in winter get a Greenhouse Heater in if parked up and the windows a little open to dry things out.

Get Damp traps in the car and boot, and change them as required. 

Do not leave anything not needed in the car and remove damp / wet mats and dry overnight or whenever.

DSCN4339.JPG.1597a7d34cbd994683a480bf945b374a.jpeg

DSCN1777.JPG.727d0b0da7b082a86385617b01f709ae.jpeg

Edited by roottoot

Thx for the reply.  

Yes car is all dry. If it was wet it would damp when parked in sun.  

I just think it is wierd it gets misted when raining.  How does your air-intake look Like?   

I will get those moist damp traps. Or make some with the crystal cat litter 😂

19 minutes ago, roottoot said:

Welcome.

Have you checked the spare tyre well is dry?

You are doing the sensible stuff.

When you can in winter get a Greenhouse Heater in if parked up and the windows a little open to dry things out.

Get Damp traps in the car and boot, and change them as required. 

Do not leave anything not needed in the car and remove damp / wet mats and dry overnight or whenever.

DSCN4339.JPG.1597a7d34cbd994683a480bf945b374a.jpeg

DSCN1777.JPG.727d0b0da7b082a86385617b01f709ae.jpeg

Picture of air duct IMG_20220923_132834.thumb.jpg.36d66034e80efb0b5b0e6ef1b8203133.jpg

1 hour ago, Joller79DK said:

a sidenote, the car had fitted a new front screen when i got it, and last week i took a look under the wiper assemply, drains all free and clean, but i could look stright into the blower motor, i would believe there should be a splash guard of some sort, and the mesh was missing, i ordered the mesh, skoda 6y0819044a .  but the parts rep. Couldnt see that there should be a splash guard on the Rapid.

Hi there,

https://www.lllparts.co.uk/catalogs/skoda/CZ/RAP/740/8/819/819030

The online parts catalog lists the part at the bottom, but not in the image or numbered

The part is quite visible in the parts catalog, not sure why the parts rep didn't see it.

51334340_IntakeGrill.thumb.png.2c86a3e4cb29b0b56a053445a0ff35ed.png

The part image for those that need to visualise how it might block some water, mainly a leaf trap.

Mesh.png.723b212b2eedbb3614f5265724cf8575.png

Can you put a hosepipe on the car windscreen to see if it fogs up with engine and fan running.  See if any water enters via the air intake when you do this.

If it does, is the pollen filter getting soaked?

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, varooom said:

Hi there,

https://www.lllparts.co.uk/catalogs/skoda/CZ/RAP/740/8/819/819030

The online parts catalog lists the part at the bottom, but not in the image or numbered

The part is quite visible in the parts catalog, not sure why the parts rep didn't see it.

51334340_IntakeGrill.thumb.png.2c86a3e4cb29b0b56a053445a0ff35ed.png

The part image for those that need to visualise how it might block some water, mainly a leaf trap.

Mesh.png.723b212b2eedbb3614f5265724cf8575.png

Can you put a hosepipe on the car windscreen to see if it fogs up with engine and fan running.  See if any water enters via the air intake when you do this.

If it does, is the pollen filter getting soaked?

Hi.

Yes. That was the mesh i mentioned I got.  But stil on many other VAG cars there are som sort of splash guard. 

13 minutes ago, Joller79DK said:

Hi.

Yes. That was the mesh I mentioned I got.  But still on many other VAG cars there are some sort of splash guard. 

Usually yep, just maybe some accountant at VAG figured they could save build costs maybe 🤔

Was to mainly confirm you have correct part, and also how weird parts person couldn't find it.

7 hours ago, varooom said:

Usually yep, just maybe some accountant at VAG figured they could save build costs maybe 🤔

Was to mainly confirm you have correct part, and also how weird parts person couldn't find it.

Looking closer.  I might think. The marked part would be the one I need.  But I can't see that flap on my car.    

Any rapid owners who would look at theirs??

Screenshot_20220928-054310__01.jpg

IMG_20220923_132834__01.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KenONeill said:

@Joller79DK And check the pollen filter; if they get a buildup of dust/pollen they frequently get and stay damp.

I took it out last week, so not there i am afriad...

but made me think , where is the ac drain exit on the car? Over heatshield?

3 hours ago, inspectorman said:

Can't look for a few days but based on your photo, I'd check that your plenum drains are clear. Seems to be a bit more sediment than normal - or maybe you live on a farm....

Easy enough to check it's all draining as it should.

Will take it apart this weekend, the dirt is just old sticky rust protection ;)

3 hours ago, Joller79DK said:

where is the ac drain exit on the car? Over heatshield?

No. Use the air con, park the car and take careful note of where the melted condensate appears; it's usually in front of one of the front footwells.

6 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

No. Use the air con, park the car and take careful note of where the melted condensate appears; it's usually in front of one of the front footwells.

Asking, because i never had a pool of water under the car, 

3 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

Back upthread you say you never put the ac on. You only get condensate when you do.

Sorry if I miss explIned my self. I Only use ac to dry the moist. And I'm hot weather only use i briefly.  I have tried have it running while parked to see how much I dripped,. But never saw a pool under the car, like under other cars 

I use the aircon all year, have it set on auto (climate control) and just adjust temp for heat (winter) cool (summer) and never use recirculate function.

Had the doors fill with water when new, now cleared and never had any problems with misting, well only after initial start off in winter, it soon clears.

BTW have the Toledo, more less the same but SEAT.

4 minutes ago, MickA said:

I use the aircon all year, have it set on auto (climate control) and just adjust temp for heat (winter) cool (summer) and never use recirculate function.

Had the doors fill with water when new, now cleared and never had any problems with misting, well only after initial start off in winter, it soon clears.

Thx for the reply. Yeah, they are pretty much the same..

mine has the manual ac though....

bought 2 of those anti condensation thingies yesterday, today  there was no moist, maybe the interior is just filled with moist from the weather, and then when raining, the blower cant keep up...... but i will investigate further anyway..

On 29/09/2022 at 19:27, MickA said:

Thx for the reply. Yeah, they are pretty much the same..

mine has the manual ac though....

bought 2 of those anti condensation thingies yesterday, today  there was no moist, maybe the interior is just filled with moist from the weather, and then when raining, the blower cant keep up...... but i will investigate further anyway....

well update, or not, took the wiper assembly off, took all the rustpreserver of(sticky stuff)

flushed water with hose on windscreen, no way near the air inlet.... time will tell if it gets worse this vinter, or else when i find the time, i will take apart footwell trim inside of the car and see if there are any signs of water there.... but the anti condens bag helps so far

• Like 1

On 27/09/2022 at 21:40, Joller79DK said:

Picture of air duct IMG_20220923_132834.thumb.jpg.36d66034e80efb0b5b0e6ef1b8203133.jpg

My 2014 looks just like that. Not sure if there has ever been any sort of cover or splash guard there.

I do have problems with water getting stuck either in rear right door or in the B pillar. Humidity is a problem.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Koreenium said:

My 2014 looks just like that. Not sure if there has ever been any sort of cover or splash guard there.

I do have problems with water getting stuck either in rear right door or in the B pillar. Humidity is a problem.

Water in b pillar?  How would that get there   well I have to see when I get the time or it gets worse!! 

Finally had a chance to look at the Rapid. This 2018 UK Rapid does have a cover over the intake. More amusingly - having accused Joller79DK of living on a farm - found about a tennis ball's worth of mud in the plenum  which had accumulated in there over the past 4 years. So that got cleared out. I am reminded of Matthew 7, verse 3;

Og hvorfor se du den mote, der er i din broders øje, men ikke overveje den bjælke, der er i dit eget øje??

rapid_air.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thx for the checkup.  

And goof to see I am not the only with leaves and dirt there.  I did get the Grill i front Mounted.  But I don't believed it holds water out more then when it is not installed 

• 1 year later...

well. had a long time with no big issues, but now after a long wet Fall, and Spring is also rainy, the car fogs up quite a lot.

discovered a little water on boot rubber at bottom left, and liner on trunklid, was a bit wer.... took it of to dry, no water in trunk, so has to come from the rubber gasket thingy.

today is raining heavyli, so put the rear seat down, and could see the rubber gets moist from about the middle on left side, and then drops forming inside bottom left...

might be an adjustment of trunk, or new gasket, but it is still soft...

my back doors also holds a bit of water, only in the front part/holes, rear holes not glocked up, and car is holding nose up in driveway.

, so i just cut the gasket of till number 2 clip that holds it(2 inches i guess)....

why oh why do we get all that misting..

trunk footwell is bonedry, the sidesalso, and flootmats too...