How about these tyres for snow performance?

Doctor_Strange

This is a serious question. Imagine a good snowfall in the UK rather than a dusting, and picture a steep hill on a housing estate, covered in snow but perhaps with some signs of tyre tracks from 4x4's or those with winter tyres. 

You are an expert at driving to the conditions and these are the tyres you have fitted to your car. 

Please leave aside any sarcastic answers and I'll explain in a while, the point of this question. 

Read the reviews, look at the image and tell  me how good these will be in snow? 

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Tyre/Avon/ZZR.htm

479043091_Screenshot_20221001-123955_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.390f4e4e5abe3e3fa15aac3f7786bbe1.jpg

• Confused 1

Please explain sooner rather than later.

?

Are you going to post a video or an expert using these tyres, or pictures?

They will be terrible in snow as far as braking and traction, grip, in fresh, packed, ploughed and gritted roads, slush, thawing roads.  Basically cold / wet roads. 

But many will have them on cars.  Maybe parked up and abandoned.

We all have different opinions. Or experiences.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/459700-avon-wv7-snow

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/461444-short-winter-tyre-complaint-thread

Edited by roottoot
  • Thanks 1

Bear with me, I'll keep the suspense a little longer as it's quite an amusing story. 

I had those Avon winter tyres on an A3 a few years ago and I have dashcam footage of them performing admirably but there's bound to be variations I guess from owner to owner. 

• Like 1

So is the idea, pick an obsolete tyre, crash the car in snow (if you can even get it moving), then explain later why you thought it was an interesting idea.

I put that one in same bucket as putting superglue on the steering wheel to help you grip it.   Or perhaps marmalade from Paddington bear (seeing as you like bears when you drive)

• Like 1

Ok, so there was this guy on the Skoda Facebook owners page who has a Fabia VRS. I called him out for a wind up/troll with the comments I'm about to go into but he was deadly serious. After much arguing, I decided to block him because you can't argue with stupid.

He commented on my Michelin CC2 post and said he would stick with his ZZR'S. The comments turned to snow and I stated it is a fact of how winter and all season tyres are made that make them perform better in snow and cold wet conditions than summer tyres, especially the ZZR'S semi-slick type.

He duly laughed at this and said there is no data to backup my claim thay my tyres could out brake his tyres on snow. Furthermore, he has driven up many a snow covered hill on his tyres with ease and the tyres are irrelevant, it is all down to driving to the conditions.

I offered dashcam footage of the Vectors driving up steep snowy roads but he said dashcam proves nothing and it is all about data, i.e. data boxes.

He claimed to have data to prove the ZZR'S could drive and brake very well in snow but refused to share it unless I could provide data. Oh and YouTube videos of reviews and testing with data about braking distances are irrelevant.

He could easily meet me somewhere in the snow and prove how good the ZZR'S are in snow.

The delusion was so staggering, blocking was the only option. I have now learnt a harsh lesson about wasting time arguing with stupid. 

I have similar story - the guy I know bought a Range Rover Evoque, I told him that I am looking at different data/sources/info/videos on all season tyres for my then Lexus GS, he said that putting winter/all season tyres on the car is a waste of money as tyres do nothing in such conditions and it is all about the car and the driver professionalism, at that point i stopped trying to prove my point, as you said - you can't argue with stupid! It amazes me that people believe in it!

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1