Fabia Mk3 for Learner/New Driver

I'm looking at changing my lovely Mini Clubman Cooper SD for something that I can insure for my daughter to learn in and then drive on her own.

The car will be used by my wife and me also.

I'm looking at something like a Mk 3 SE with the 1.0 MPI 75PS engine to keep insurance low but hopefully now completely frustrate my wife and I when driving.

I can't live without CarPlay (give me some creature comforts! 🙂 ) and I'm thinking if I can find a 2016 or early 2017 I can avoid the "Road Tax" price hike.

So hive mind, any suggestions / recommendations / warning?

Cheers All

No horror stories, but you only know how engines & cars are after 5 years when they are over 5 years old.

That time is coming.  Cam Belt change time for early ones.

4 cylinder TSI's dropped because the WLTP & RDE were coming and then GPF's fitted to petrol cars.

Edited by roottoot

• 4 weeks later...
On 04/10/2022 at 10:47, LakesPuma said:

... but hopefully not completely frustrate my wife and I when driving.

Sorry, bit late to the party here, but here is my limited experience of the MPi.

When my 1.2 TSi was being serviced last year, I was lent a 1.0MPi as a courtesy car.  Without a turbo, it is very frustrating.  Before it warms up, performance is very sluggish, it seems to be deliberately restricted, as once warm, performance is noticeably better.  It does need working to make it move along adequately, and will never be quick.  I was glad to give it back.

I also own a 2006 Fiat Panda 1.2, rated at 60hp.  This seems to have better performance than the 1.0Mpi. 

My advice, go for the turbo unit.

AVOID THE MPI. Its a useless engine for modern driving. Slow, non turbo, you will get frustrated.

On the other hand, the Fabia is a great car to learn in, its got good visibility, good light driving (steering, clutch, gears etc) and very safe. 

I personally prefer the 1.2tsi over the 1.0tsi due to the fact its 4 cyl not 3. With the 3 once you load the car up it does require a good amount of revs and gear changes to get it going. This is the engine to go for if looking at the 16/17 plate. 

Both tsi engines are cambelts due at 5 years but the cost to replace is around £300 so factor that into your buying if not done yet. 

The radios support car play / android auto (the must have) but this is an optional extra on some models and could need turning on at the dealer for £150 so again make sure it has this activated and if not its a haggling point for you. 

If I was in your shoes and having to drive it myself then have your daughter drive, I would aim for a colour edition 1.2tsi early 17 (We just sold one of ours as we had two) great little car with nice stylish looks and the kit you mentioned. Plus cruise control, limiter (great for 30mph city's and towns you're unsure off so you don't accidently speed) Just have a look at the lower control arms when buying as these like to fail around the 25-35k mark, not expensive to replace (I did mine on the driveway at home for £30 a corner) but worth checking. 

I have done 35k in my 1.2tsi 17 since 2020 and its not missed a beat.