Key fob battery . . .

About a month ago I started getting messages about the key fob battery needing replacement and occasionally the car would not see the key,  battery changed for an Energiser following the instructions in the manual and all seemed well but . . . . . 

The tailgate started beeping  when opened from the button on the tailgate, not the continuous beeping you get when opening from the key but one long beep when fully open - something it had never done before.

The tailgate button on the fob seemed to be very sensitive and on one or two occasions the tailgate started closing while getting something out of the boot.

Three weeks later the key died - no messages about low battery, it just stopped doing anything. 

Have put the second Energiser into the key and it seems (36 hours later) to be normal and the tailgate beep has stopped.  This time I followed the instructions on the Karoq section where you press the button for at least five seconds to reset the key (It doesn't say this in my manual).

Anyone else experienced this?

It is a 2020 SEL Exec with kessy and the key is kept in an RF proof container at night (old sweet tin).

I think more than likely when you replaced the battery the internal circuit board probably moved a bit and put extra pressure on the boot button making it extra sensitive/pressed when it shouldnt.

After the second battery replacement its probably back in the right place now.

That would explain the battery dieing very very quick if it is constantly transmitting a signal. 

13 minutes ago, IJWS15 said:

Explains all but the beep when the tailgate had opened fully.

Indicates a fault. If the button was being held down constantly chances are the car would log a fault about it after a while as it doesnt expect a 24/7 input :D 

Sorry to hear about your ongoing issues. On the subject of key fob battery longevity. I have x3 keys from new on my 2019 Superb L&K 2.0 estate. One I use day in day out & keep in a Faraday Pouch, the second I keep in tin foil inside a metal tin in the drawer in the hall & never use, the third is just kept on a hook at my sons house without any cover & again is never used. All three ran out of power at about the same time give or take a couple of weeks. ( about 2 1/2 years old ). It would seem to confirm the fob is transmitting even if it’s not been received by the car.

|Haven't had the low battery message from any of the other fobs, one has been used occasionally (including the week before last) and one never used - both kept in RFID fobs.

Not sure what if any difference it makes but my use every day set I don’t use ‘actively’. I never press the buttons on the fob to lock/unlock the car or open the boot. I use the sensor on door handle to lock & unlock drivers door with my thumb & open the boot access with the foot sensor under the bumper. On that basis I guess all the fobs have the same ‘practical’ use which may account for the batteries expiring at about the same 2 1/2 year time scale.