Immobilizer data interpretation needed plus a no start situation 😄

Sizwe

Hi guys. Thanks to Admin for accepting my memmbership, but I have a problem. I am working on a polo mk3 6N 1.8 VIN:AAVZZZ9VZ1U006491 (in RSA the car is called the Polo Classic). Nit about engine code. If looks like the CITI GOLF engine though. Anyway, back to my problem...

First things first, the car was driving well as per customer interview and what caused the car to stall was that the crank pulley came off while it was being driven on the road. The car was towed to a mechanic to fitted a new pulley and fanbelt. When all was done, the car did now want to start. It cranks but no start. The mechanics made the customer buy a new distributor, new petrol pump and new plugs...

What I did: I confirmed that it has spark. I introduced some starter fluid and it started but stalled as soon as the starter fluid is used up. So we can rule out low compression and spark as being the problem as it starts. Two, the problem points to petrol supply... but the fuel pump is working well and I have confirmed that fuel reaches the injectors with no blockage...

I did a visual inspection and I noticed that this one does not have a crank sensor nor a cam sensor.

I then plugged in my diagnostic machine and I got the following codes :

IMMO code "01176 - KEY NOT AUTHORISED" and another one, most likely related to the latter "P1570 ENGINE CONTROL MODULE DISABLED" another one for instrument cluster "00771 fuel level sensor open or short circuit to B+". The last one is "01050 glow plug monitoring malfunction in basic setting" (the car runs on petrol so I do not know whats up with that, could be a short.

Another important piece of info in this saga is that the car is blowing fuse no. 28 for (speedometer sensor device, automatic engine locking device). Now the short will be traced on tomorrow but I think the cause of the problem is obvious but I want to be dead sure- I think this short is the cause of all problems. The scan tool can communicate with the ECU and immo modules and the instrument cluster with no issues.

Sorry for the long post but I want to provide the most info. Attached are the screenshots, please help me with the immo codes as well as VW was using codes to indicate the status of certain components.

nCAN ANYONE INTERPRET THE IMMO CODE NUMBERS FOR ME AS I AM DESPERATRLY LOOKING FOR THE SERVICE MANUAL OF THE SAME CAR PLEASE????!!! :

Your informed inputs are highly welcomed mates. It is a bit urgent.

Screenshot_20221105-111408_ThinkDiag+.jpg

Screenshot_20221105-215503_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20221105-223114_ThinkDiag+.jpg

Copying the above in/out of notepad to remove the weird black background.

Hi guys. Thanks to Admin for accepting my membership, but I have a problem. I am working on a polo mk3 6N 1.8 VIN:AAVZZZ9VZ1U006491 (in RSA the car is called the Polo Classic). Nit about engine code. If looks like the CITI GOLF engine though. Anyway, back to my problem...

First things first, the car was driving well as per customer interview and what caused the car to stall was that the crank pulley came off while it was being driven on the road. The car was towed to a mechanic to fitted a new pulley and fanbelt. When all was done, the car did now want to start. It cranks but no start. The mechanics made the customer buy a new distributor, new petrol pump and new plugs...

What I did: I confirmed that it has spark. I introduced some starter fluid and it started but stalled as soon as the starter fluid is used up. So we can rule out low compression and spark as being the problem as it starts. Two, the problem points to petrol supply... but the fuel pump is working well and I have confirmed that fuel reaches the injectors with no blockage...

I did a visual inspection and I noticed that this one does not have a crank sensor nor a cam sensor.

I then plugged in my diagnostic machine and I got the following codes :

IMMO code "01176 - KEY NOT AUTHORISED" and another one, most likely related to the latter "P1570 ENGINE CONTROL MODULE DISABLED" another one for instrument cluster "00771 fuel level sensor open or short circuit to B+". The last one is "01050 glow plug monitoring malfunction in basic setting" (the car runs on petrol so I do not know whats up with that, could be a short.

Another important piece of info in this saga is that the car is blowing fuse no. 28 for (speedometer sensor device, automatic engine locking device). Now the short will be traced on tomorrow but I think the cause of the problem is obvious but I want to be dead sure- I think this short is the cause of all problems. The scan tool can communicate with the ECU and immo modules and the instrument cluster with no issues.

Sorry for the long post but I want to provide the most info. Attached are the screenshots, please help me with the immo codes as well as VW was using codes to indicate the status of certain components.

CAN ANYONE INTERPRET THE IMMO CODE NUMBERS FOR ME AS I AM DESPERATRLY LOOKING FOR THE SERVICE MANUAL OF THE SAME CAR PLEASE????!!! :

Your informed inputs are highly welcomed mates. It is a bit urgent.

Bit of an odd one, it sounds like something else has been interfered with in the process of the other work. Is it a hatchback, estate or saloon?

First thing I'd be doing is use something like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314027117048 to see if the key's being read and talking back.

If it's anything like my caddy, there's three bits to the immobiliser. The collar on the lock barrel reads the code, then passes it to a black box up above the fusebox to decode, then passes the code to the ECU to verify. 

Worst case, I'd get a chipped ECU with an immobiliser delete in (and have a few more HP with it). 

@StevesTruckI appreciate your help man. I will buy that coil tester ASAP. I have sent an email to one fompany in South Africa to supply me with a couple of those. 

The car is a saloon shape. Can you chime in on the fault code data stream by looking at the immobiliser dara stream codes, it appears to me that the number one means NO and two means YES. What does immobiliser code six mean? Does anyone here have a service manual for any golf3, especially detailing the immobiliser codes? It think if I can solve the electrical short, I will be able to eliminate a possible gremlin. 

Thank in advance bud.

@stevestruck 

Hi guys, don't I have a story for y'all...

So I traced the short today, and this is what I found:

In the first image, I found the wires looking like that, as if someone tried to cut them but had second thoughts. I personally believe they got damaged on a previous job as I found evidence of previous electrical work. These wires were in tye driver door and had a plug that led to a window motor or lock actuator for the central lock system.

Image 2:

When  I flipped the fusebox over, I found that a blue wire with two black stripes splits into three (3) smaller wires of the same colour (blue/black). One led to a mysterious black box (of which I believe its the central lock module, the other leads to a round plug that connects to another round plug going to the wire harness in the driver side. I did not follow the other wire but it went into a fusible link with many plugs going into it. I did not trace it coz it looked fine. 

So what caused all of this chaos? Water !! The car has a badly fitted windscreen and it has been allowing water to seep into the connector and fusebox area. I found the carpet moist and some of the wires were dripping. Also, the black box in image 2 and 3 when opened, was found to have a bit of rust on a rectangular block but I am not sure if any damage was done coz the PCB is clean with nothing rusted or burnt.

I want to check the whole harness coz I don't want to leave any stone unturned. Any advise would be highly appreciated. Am I right that the source of the short has been solved or is it a little bit too early? But I think it all makes sense; 

1. The short leads right into a component linked to the immobiliser which is the central locking module

2. Signs of rust were found in the central locking module (although miniscule) .

3. Thus the short could be affecting communication b/n immobiliser and ECU

4. This will explain why the ECU is disabled

5. Finally this makes the key not to be accepted and resulting in a no start situation.

Other pics are coming...

Thanks, I will be waiting for your inputs...

20221109_165751.jpg

20221109_155242.jpg

20221109_155305.jpg

@ stevestruck

Also, as per fuseandrelay.com, the diesel control unit is located exactly where I found the Central locking module... so I think it is a bit of a software glitch but it answers your question (and mine) of why the scan tool told me about glow plug control whereas the car runs on petrol. 

I think the layout of the models differs bit, maybe I selected something wrong during diagnostics but I doubt as I used the VIN.

Thanks