Do I just have a bad crank sensor or could it be something else?

Frosty99

Hi, I just wondered if anyone could give me some advice on the issue I've been having for a while. So my issue is that the engine will stall and random intervals, including idle. It had before started fine first time nut now longer takes a longer time cranking to start. I've gotten the p0727 code which is crankshaft sensor, however I've replaced that which still didn't fix the issue. This morning the car stalled again but gave me an EML which is the same code, with flashing glow plug light. Could this be the injector wiring harness? Or did I get a bad crankshaft sensor? Any help would be appreciated, cheers.

I've replaced the fuel filter, fuel pump is fine and glow plugs have been changed.

I did suggest you inspect the wiring when this first came up about 3 threads of yours ago, but I didn't give you the full info then, so here you go now. G28 is the crank sensor, J248 is the engine ECU, F27 is a joint within the loom where the cable screen joins onto the earthy side of the wiring (pin 2 at sensor connector, pin 102 at ECU).

Screenshot 2022-11-09 09.13.06.png

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Breezy_Pete said:

pin 102 at ECU

Just a quick question on this, does the ECU have markings to indicate pin numbers, even if it's a starting row number or something. If not, do you have a pinout diagram that has the pins and their respective numbers? Cheers :)

Row ends are generally marked on loom connectors I think; this may help, probably mating face view of loom connectors.

You will almost certainly find you need a fine piece of wire to poke into the relevant receptacles, as the pins tend to be mostly tiny, much smaller than meter probes.

Screenshot 2022-11-10 09.13.46.png

On 10/11/2022 at 09:16, Breezy_Pete said:

You will almost certainly find you need a fine piece of wire to poke into the relevant receptacles, as the pins tend to be mostly tiny, much smaller than meter probes.

Yeah I did notice I would need some form of adapting device lol. So, I resistance checked the wires to the ecu including the screen between 2 & 3 and all return around 1.2 ohms and no OL. So that would indicate they are okay by testing if I'm correct? But I may try have a visual inspection if I can just to double check.

I'll have to check between 1&2 however I managed to get the ecu scanned on Delphi and it's displaying crankshaft sensor no signal permanent fault. I did probe the sensor while it was connected to see what voltage was present on the wires and I was getting approximately 2.7v on all 3 wires. Am I correct in thinking that the black wire is an earth so shouldn't be receiving voltage? Or at least one is an earth?

On 12/11/2022 at 09:38, Breezy_Pete said:

Sounds OK, yeah, as long as 1 isn't shorting to 2.

Took a quick look today and it appears that they aren't shorting. I'm not sure if perhaps I got unlucky with the sensor and got a faulty one?

Okay so had an interesting issue occur today. When driving, the car stalled as it does sometimes, upon restarting it stalled again, so after starting again for the 2nd time I managed to get it driveable, but it was limited if that makes sense? No matter how far the accelerator was pushed down, nothing happened. I did note that the engine was making a weird juddering / spluttering noise.