Saying Goodbye to my MK1 VRS Estate

DoDaniel

So, sadly the time has come to say goodbye to my MK1 VRS Estate. (Pic of when I got it)

IMG_20170922_1455421.thumb.jpg.b68ee2c015fe377e0dc8a960b3437413.jpg

Unfortunately, the cost of maintinence/outstanding work is starting to get too high and I'm not willing to put a bunch of money into an aging car anymore. The final straw was the exhaust snapping where the pipe joins the rear silencer and to my surprise, it was the original exhaust, so I think it's done well to last this long.

I have been unable to source an OEM equivilent of the same style from any parts shops, eBay or breakers yards and I don't want to pay £400-500 for a Jetex or Piper system and the noise that might come along with them. Sounds bad enough with it snapped!

Current outstanding work list:

Persistant oil leak (Replaced rocker gaskets and other common point of egress, still happening)

Minor coolant leak above gearbox

Creaking noise when turning steering near full lock

Rust on rear tailgate under glass

Rust on driver side passenger door

Drivers seat bolster padding worn away

Ingress of water during heavy rain - Boot and rear passenger doors

Timing belt and water pump due

Drivers side engine mount replacement

Exhaust replacement

Luckily, it's not going too far. A family member is going to take it on as their car got stolen and have not replaced it yet. Up to them if they wish to fix the outstanding, or just do the exhaust so it passes an MOT.

I am still sticking with Skoda though and have already sourced my new car, so this will be my 3rd Skoda.

I ended up settling on a 2017 Skoda Superb Sportline Estate 280 DSG AWD.

4c5640df-81a2-4d80-aa14-5bc0df960a4a.thumb.jpg.caef9791327e59b7e6f5174b7cc6823c.jpg

I was originally looking at VW Golf R and Seat Leon Cupra 300 Estates and also maybe the Cupra Ateca. But I really don't like the styling on those and feel they look quite lairy/boy racer-ish. My ideal car is one that looks nice, practical (hence estate) and is suttle, but has the power to shift when I feel like it. Plus the extra features like Adaptive Cruise Control, Electric Tailgate and Kessy sealed the deal.

Intention is to settle into the car for a while and then start doing minor things like a stage 1 remap for the engine and DSG in the future.

So, this is not me leaving Briskoda, only moving next door into the Superb MK3 threads.

All the best people! 🙃

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Ah it’s a shame, I hope the estate is taken by your family member. If not, get in contact with me and I might take it off your hands. 

• Like 1

I do miss my MK1 Octy VRS, but my family member has taken it on and seems happy with it so far (minus the exhaust noise). Thanks for the offer anyway @DeanVRS20VT, my next step would have been the classifieds on here.

I've always liked the MK1 Octavia, very practical cars that were bigger than a golf and not as much money. Had a 2002 Elegance 2L before the VRS and it was also great. Shame all the estates seem to rust on the tailgate under the glass!

@skinnyman I had been looking at them for some time before needing to replace my car. Just so happens that one at the right price per month came along when it did. Keep looking, maybe they will come down in the new year a bit more, who knows. ;)

Absolutely loving the Superb SportLine though, cannot express how quiet, practical and quick this car is. I have also bought myself an OBD Eleven Pro Pack to code the car, managed to enable the following so far:

Adaptive Lane Assist

Light Assist for the headlights - (Blocks beam out for oncoming when using highs, will see how this goes)

Rear DRL's

Heated Seat Memory

Disable Stop/Start system - A scam to kill batteries in my opinion

I'm going to wait a bit before I look into remapping it, but to be honest, it has more than enough power for the road (atm ;))

• Like 1