Losing power

This is probably an easy one for the experienced, but I'm clueless with cars and hopefully want to sort this myself. 
Fabia MkI 1.9SDi estate. A couple of weeks ago I set off from traffic lights and the car seemed to be misfiring for about a hundred yards, and then sorted itself out. It's not done it since. However it may be coincidence but around the same time I've noticed a distinct lack of power on hills, and I find myself going through the gears where I didn't have to before. I also notice it seems to be using more fuel and the exhaust smells dirty, like a bus exhaust. As I say I'm clueless but I'm guessing it's air filter / fuel filter / glow plugs?

I'm having to resist making the typical SDI jokes here.

Does sound like it's overfuelling... a lot. Maybe get a code reader on it and see if anything is lurking before we play that 'lovely' game of parts darts. :)

Not sure how you can tell if an SDi is misfiring! ;)  I'd agree about the overfuelling, so am going to ask what sort of mileage it's done? This will be confirmatory when we get to a stage when we can do a diagnosis.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lewis66 said:

Try a bottle of redex

Don't, you'll trigger Sep's 'Snake-Oil Senses' :D

Jokes aside, I'm not much of a believer in Redex either, never found it to be of benefit for any of the fleet.

1 hour ago, lewis66 said:

Try a bottle of redex

Whatever you do don't follow that advice, I did and was on the loo for 24 hours!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Don't, you'll trigger Sep's 'Snake-Oil Senses' :D

Jokes aside, I'm not much of a believer in Redex either, never found it to be of benefit for any of the fleet.

Snake oil?! Fixes everything even slow punctures in my experience! I'd still give it a try first as it's cheap. It definitely worked on a petrol I had once but never noticed much difference on the derv either tbh.