Problem with Key Fob

I got the usual message to change my key fob battery earlier today which I did.  I followed the procedure in the manual including holding one of the key buttons for 5 seconds.  After I changed the battery, I pressed one of the buttons on the fob which seemed to work (the rear lights flashed) but nothing would work after that.  I tried re-syncing the key as described in the manual but no luck.  The red light on the key fob doesn't come on at all.  I tried yet another battery but still the same problem.  I therefore took what I know is a good battery out of my spare key and put it in my day to day key but again the same problem - the key doesn't work and the red indicator light is dead.  I therefore put the good battery back into my spare key which seems to work fine.

I'm stumped at what to do next apart from buying more new batteries.  Any words of wisdom out there on what to do?  Many thanks.   

I had similar with mine. When it went to the dealers they said it needs a new fob which was around 400 quid. I found a chap in Wales who did it for under 50 quid. If you need details let me know. My car was only 4 years old. 

Thanks for the advice.  I think I have just managed to sort the problem out.  It seems I had a bad connection within the fob itself despite me checking this first but it doesn't explain why the fob worked initially then died.  Anyway, the day to day key seems to be working now which is a relief.