Snow chains 235/40 R19 for 2.0 TSI Sportline 190 2020

BPL

Hi,

Has anyone managed to get these to fit and without damaging the alloy rims or fouling suspension, brakes etc. I want to go to a ski resort 1400m altitude in France end feb. I have snow sucks. 

Edited by BPL

I struggled to find them for 18 inch wheels on my Superb. Didn't even try for the 19s on our more recent Passat (same size as yours I think). I think you will need to go with socks.

The main thing is winter tyres. We have driven to the Alps for 5 years. Initially on Cross Climates and more recently on full winters. Never used the socks. We go to a resort at a similar altitude, had to dig the car out to come home a couple of times in Feb. No probs on the road, the French are all over it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I drove to the alps earlier this year on 235/40/19s in my TSI 280 estate.  Bought some cheap(ish) winter tyres as dg360 suggests and they were great, but also bought a secondhand Thule K-Summit K34 snow chain set which were £200.  They ratchet on to a wheel nut and spiderweb round the wheel from the outside, dont go inside the rim at all.  Bit belt and braces with the winter tyres to be honest and I didnt need to use them but they were there just in case monsieur le gendarme had a pop as I think snow chains are mandatory in blizzards.  The resort we went to the roads were cleared by the morning after heavy snow (Les Gets) and the winter tyres coped with everything anyway without a single slide.

• Love it! 1

Also worth mentioning that I got a peage auto toll account which was fantastic from Bip and Go.  Well worth having as saves a lot of faff and time at the tolls.  They sent a tag which sticks to the windscreen and you can go through the auto gates instead of queueing, brilliant!

• Like 1