2012 L&K Power Up issue

Hi. This has happened 3 times now.

Unlock car.

Insert ignition key.

Turn to On position.

Nothing. No lights or dash board.

Turn Off ignition.

Turn On ignition and everything works, BUT the settings have all reveretd to Zero. Milage, Range, Clock - the lot. Just as if the battery had been disconnected.

History;

New battery 200 miles ago. Refitted and posts + Ground peg cleaned.

New Drivers door loom 2 weeks ago.

Steering sometimes feels "notchy" after reversing monoevers with sensors working.

Presents like an electrical fault but not sure where to look to pinpoint it.

Any ideas?

Edited by Arcadash
More info

Sounds like poor connections to the battery / ground and / or the wrong battery for your particular car. 

Does it have stop / start and if so, has the correct battery (AGM or equivalent) been fitted?

Double check the tightness / condition of the connections.

If everything checks out there, scan for fault codes and take it from there.

If there is an intermittent ground issue with the new door wiring loom, it should register a fault code.

Edited by Smart Pro

Thanks for responding.

The connections to the battery and the earth post have all be cleaned.

The battery was fitted by RAC and the car is not a Stop/Start one. I will get the amp hour of it confirmed though just in case.

There is a one fault code which the garage found and reset, but I didn't catch it. The car is going in tomorrow for a full diagnostic.

I suspect it is a connection somewhere which is dirty/damp/make and break sort of thing. May be as simple as a fuse refit or ECU unplug and clean connections.

Will post the results.

PS

Clicked open the car just now and all is working as normal. It could be the tool fairy from my garage messing me about again. 

Update for anyone watching this.

Full diagnostics today. Not too many faults except the one which indicated that the power to the steering was intermittant.

Upon investigation, the cause seems to be the earth strap from the gearbox to the chassis. Rust and corrosion.

It has been cleaned and as an extra measure, a new and separate earth strap fom the gearbox to the chassis has been added.

So now I have it on trial as there may be other issues but that is a voyage of discovery.

Not paid for any work yet, and NOT a new meggabuck alternator!

Will update when a decent test over the weekend has been done.

• Like 1

Hopefully this fix will help but it sounds to me that the battery is not fully charging.

When the battery voltage drops below a certain level, which normally but not always coincides with the battery warning light coming on, some of the more power hungry applications go into a sort of 'limp home' mode. Heater blower will stop and power steering will lose assistance for example.

I have experienced this myself and it was battery charging related.

Thanks for the comments. At least I am not trail blazing.

I spend time mentoring on a technology forum with some software I have been using for years.

It is good to know that "you are not alone" with problems, but with software it is a LOT easier - IMHO of course. 

8 hours ago, Arcadash said:

Thanks for the comments. At least I am not trail blazing.

I spend time mentoring on a technology forum with some software I have been using for years.

It is good to know that "you are not alone" with problems, but with software it is a LOT easier - IMHO of course. 

I have VCDS and a Pro version of Autel, which provides live data but neither are infallible and more often than not, steer you in the right direction, rather than providing a specific diagnosis.

• 4 weeks later...

Given it a decent test now.

For intermittent electrical  probs, worth adding an earth strap from a sensible engine point and the chassis.

Cleaning the standard strap points under the battery tray doesn't always work. The additional strap on mine does.

• Like 1