Fabia mk3 key fob/remote locking/unlocking stopped working.

pwshk

Car no longer locking/unlocking via key fob.... 

Car opened as normal this morning. Next time went to open the car it was unlocked and the remote locking didn't lock/unlock. Tried the spare key, same result.  

The button on the dash still locks/unlocks so the fuse is fine (checked it just in case too). 

Possible that the spare key (unused) has a flat battery and that the main key is now flat too, seems unlikely but possible, so I changed the battery.

I did drop the key yesterday but it was fine afterwards and doesn't explain the spare key not working. 

My local garage can't take a look until next week... Any other suggestions for a novice to try?

Thanks

Edited by pwshk

Please note - I am not a mechanic or expert in anything.

Best not to to view the second key as a spare key but as a second key and alternate the use of the keys on the vehicle in what ever way or time interval suits you that way you get more even wear of the batteries, keyblades and locks.

Does the red light flash on the remotes when pressed?

I always start with the quick, easy and free stuff (and anything that keeps my hands clean), first check both batteries are good and installed correctly.  Then I would try synchronising both fobs.

From 2017/5 Owner's Manual. - https://manual.skoda-auto.com/004/en-com/Models

xdxd.jpg.28e321830fcac3a2d627911268d353e6.jpg

vgvvgvg.jpg.9f31a7973ae08c7273c99696c9597b08.jpg

I would be very close to the car before operating the remote to reduce chance of interference, does this happen at one location only or everywhere?

Any other lights or dash warnings or other things not quite right?

HTH.

Edited by nta16
ETA: Please note - I am not a mechanic or expert in anything.
  • Like 3

Thanks - I've got some brand new batteries arriving tomorrow as I couldn't remember how old the replacement battery was. I'll change the batteries again and have a go as directed. 

• Like 1

Might be a combination of batteries and use as some seem to report more frequent changes than others and some prefer certain makes and say they last longer.

The battery I replaced recently in my wife's remote was from a set from a £1-shop type place and lasted at least a few years possibly/probably longer, the missing Covid years makes things more difficult to date, but the expiry date on a that pack was "Dec 2020".  In November this year my wife got a pack of Hyundai, two times of each 2032, 2025 and 2016 "best before 30-04-23".

We are swimming in 2016s as we don't seem to have any use for that size and other cards with sizes we don't use it's such a waste, and to make things more fun the same batteries have three different code numbers.

BTW - 2032  (typo) 2025 is 20mm wide by 2.5mm deep, I'll leave you to guess the other two sizes.  😁

Let us know how you get on, I always synchronise things like remote key fobs whether they appear to need it or not, just in case they might play up later and this time I discovered my wife was right and the 'emergency' driver's door keyblade lock was a bit awkward, apart from remember to put the key in the correct way and turn the key opposite way to expected, perhaps the lack of use and airborne grit/**** that's about.  A quick spray of GT85 sorted the keyblade lock.

Edited by nta16
ETA: Please note - I am not a mechanic or expert in anything.
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, nta16 said:

BTW - 2032  (typo) 2025 is 20mm wide by 2.5mm deep, I'll leave you to guess the other two sizes.  😁

If only my fingers could work my brain, they're about the same size, this is why I turn off left when instructed to look out for the next right turn by my (human) navigator.

Try re-syncing the keys.  I did this the other week after changing the batteries in the key fob.

If the battery is low, you should get a warning on your M-Dot Display when you first turn the ignition on.

1. Pop the lock cover on the driver's side door off (there's a little notch underneath to fit the key blade in).
  2. Put the key blade into the lock and turn the key.
  3. Remove the key and press the unlock button on the key fob within 30 seconds.

The funny story to this is that I was 120 miles from home marshalling a 24 hour race in a pretty remote area when I got my warning.  I was lucky enough to find a supermarket with the right batteries in the first hour of the race and quickly changed them in the car park to find that the car was not responding to the key fob after the battery change.  I then did the re-sync and still nothing.

I was about to try the second battery in the pack when I noticed it had a safety sticker over the battery terminal (apparently it stops kids getting awful internal burns if they ever swallow a battery).  I popped the replacement battery out of the key fob, took the sticker off and voila, worked fine and I was back on the road in minutes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 0094994 said:
  • Put the key blade into the lock and turn the key.
  • Remove the key and press the unlock button on the key fob within 30 seconds.

You have misremembered this bit, see my first reply post with extracts from the 2017/5 Owner's Manual. - https://manual.skoda-auto.com/004/en-com/Models

Pressing the unlock button might stop the alarm going off but I don't know as the Owner's Manual (2017/5) has that the alarm goes off when you use the keyblade in the driver's door lock.

jujujju.jpg.73c756e11aaf6a9fcf72b7bbfd5fad44.jpg

gtgtgtg.jpg.92213349298fea24d9e8cca632d9db4d.jpg

And on opening the door with the keyblade I'd forgot you have to pull and hold the handle ignoring my own advice of referring to the Owner's Manual (or RtFM). 🙃

jujujujuju.jpg.7d6b558045febd2af55fd91a0c783f63.jpg

1 hour ago, nta16 said:

You have misremembered this bit, see my first reply post with extracts from the 2017/5 Owner's Manual. - https://manual.skoda-auto.com/004/en-com/Models

Yep, got it back to front.

I was rushing it to the point of stupidity and went around 30 hours without sleep that day so I'm just happy I could remember roughly what I did.

The car was already unlocked when I did all this too because I'd slept in it overnight. Thinking on that, I probably would have messed the sequence up if the problem wasn't the battery safety sticker.

Great stuff I love an easy inexpensive fix, especially if it keeps your hands clean and from too much farting about on cars, not very technically sexy but a lot of that is ego stuff.  Start very simple and move on if needed, in which case I'm lost.

If you read and refer to the Owner's Manual you'll know a lot more about your car than many long term owners.

See if there any stuff in the next two videos you don't yet know or have forgotten about.

Skoda Fabia Mk3: Tips & Handy Features Part 1

Skoda Fabia Mk3: Tips & Handy Features Part 2