Left side windscreen air vent not blowing

Hi All

The passenger side windscreen air vent is not blowing air. I think its maybe not blowing to the edge of the door to clear the door window either.

The fans working and the drivers side is OK so seems like maybe the vent pipe has come loose or is blocked somehow.

Any ideas?

Dave

Yes, with the ignition on (engine running optional) press the ECON and upper body vent buttons simultaneously (button below recirculation).

The process will take approximately 30 seconds during which time you will hear the HVAC system do its thing, you may need to perform this operation repeatedly if you have sticky flaps!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

I carried out the procedure in the video above and the airflow is slightly better but still not keeping the screen clear in the extreme left of the windscreen or passenger door window.

When you do the procedure, you can hear the flaps moving and rubbing on something on the left side of the dash (rubber squeaking noise). I wondered if there was a way to lubricate anything in there with silicon spray etc or is there something else I can do, clean or replace??

Cheers

Dave

On 24/12/2022 at 17:59, FatblokeVRS said:

something on the left side of the dash (rubber squeaking noise).

Could it be the nylon gears have stripped and rubbing over each other?

Worn gears is the most common mode of failure.

There's no gear clicking noise or anything. Everything seems to be moving when it's doing a reset. The left side blows warm air then goes cold, the right side does the same now although was warm before.

The left blew cold and the right blew warm but after several resets, both are cold air now but still blow hot for a few seconds when doing the reset procedure.

There's warm air there during the resets. Blower fan seems to be working.  The coolant level is fine. The engine coolant temp is running a bit low now too instead of 90 degrees.

Possible to check the temp sensors for each side? Where are they?

Should I replace the thermostat? Is it easy to do?

Anything else I can check?

Cheers

Dave

Edited by FatblokeVRS

Don't get so excited to open a can of worms or replace parts unnecessarily.

The flap positions and calibration procedure as well as temperature values of each sensor are available via diagnostic software, again I don't have VCDS so cannot comment on its use.

If you find a sensor showing a different value to its opposite twin I would remove the suspect sensor and clean the electrical connection, I had to do this with the passenger footwell sensor and correct operation was restored.

I would say your engine temp showing lower than 90C is nothing to be concerned about.  The other week when it was -7C ambient I blocked the radiator almost entirely with a piece of cardboard, after 20 miles of brisk driving the temp gauge was still not showing 90C and the heater wasn't great.

Update: I checked with vcds and got a couple of odd readings.

The left vent temp sensor was reading 84.7 degrees when the right was reading 23 degrees so looks like the left sensor is knackered.

Where are these sensors?

Also the main coolant temp was reading 64 degrees and it won't get any higher. I would suspect the thermostat is stuck open but is there any way I can test the coolant temp sensor or is there another coolant sensor anywhere that I can check to see if it gives the same reading?

Cheers

Dave

Hi All

The sensor was in the centre air vent cluster on the left hand side. Part number 3D0907543A.

Will try calling skoda dealer tomorrow again to see if they are open but expect around £45 for one from seeing other posts.

Found this though.....

https://www.realoem.parts/electric/air-temperature-sensor-volkswagen-3d0907543a.html

Anyone used them?

Cheers

Dave

Are you sure there isn't one in the passenger vent/door vent accessible with the door open.

Have you cleaned and ensured the sensor/connector contacts are good?

Swap with its twin to confirm it's faulty before throwing money away.