2019 Kodiaq Scout - Cruise Control intermittently unavailable

OxfordBlue

Evening all.  Weird problem that's been niggling for a while... 2019/69 Kodiaq Scout 190 2.0 TDI - all is fine except some niggles with the electronics.

About 1 time in 10, I'll start the car, and the cruise control function is simply unavailable.  I've checked the switch on the stalk is in the correct position, but I cannot engage cruise control at any speed; the indicator on the display simply isn't there (glass cockpit).

Fault generally clears when I turn off ignition and restart car.

Suspect this is linked to other intermittent problems

- Cannot update maps over-the-air despite there being a SIM card with data on it in the car

- Occasional "SOS function unavailable" warning on the dash 

Columbus system with touchscreen.  

Dealership reports no faults found.

Any known errors or fixes to be aware of?  

I have exactly the same model, same year, same Columbus, but no cruise control problems. OTA map update has never worked; I always download to an SD card. I did once get an "SOS Activated" flash up while cruising on a motorway - no idea why and nothing else happened subsequently.

I have had spurious engine management warnings when starting in very cold weather and the battery low.

A few weeks ago I met the “unavailable cruise control”.

Only once. Ever. And I’m in my 6th year of driving a Bear.

Things returned to normal, I think after my next stop and start.

Hope it was a once in a lifetime because my cruise switch is possibly the most used switch in the car.

On 20/12/2022 at 02:33, OxfordBlue said:

Evening all.  Weird problem that's been niggling for a while... 2019/69 Kodiaq Scout 190 2.0 TDI - all is fine except some niggles with the electronics.

About 1 time in 10, I'll start the car, and the cruise control function is simply unavailable.  I've checked the switch on the stalk is in the correct position, but I cannot engage cruise control at any speed; the indicator on the display simply isn't there (glass cockpit).

Fault generally clears when I turn off ignition and restart car.

I have found this occurs if you are attempting to engage cruise control prior to the engine getting up to full normal operating temperature, it's not a fault as such. It will self-clear, as you say, on stop and restart of the ignition. As long as you're aware of this quirk and wait for your engine to fully warm up, ....

Edited by Arkaig
  • Like 1

On 20/12/2022 at 02:33, OxfordBlue said:

Dealership reports no faults found.

And what did the dealer suggest? Or did they simply fob you off with the usual 'come back if it gets worse' excuse?

Just because there isn't a fault code logged doesn't mean there isn't an issue present, and definately doesn't preclude it from being diagnosed and fixed.

Get a passenger to take a video of the fault, show it to the dealer, drop the car off, jump into a courtesy car and ask them to call you when it's fixed...

...is what I'd be tempted to do, but then I'm becoming immune to my local dealers ineptness (DM Keith in York).

11 hours ago, silver1011 said:

but then I'm becoming immune to my local dealers ineptness (DM Keith in York).

Now I'm confused... in another topic you claimed they were good at after sales service... 😵💫

• Haha 1

On 21/12/2022 at 08:42, Arkaig said:

I have found this occurs if you are attempting to engage cruise control prior to the engine getting up to full normal operating temperature, it's not a fault as such. It will self-clear, as you say, on stop and restart of the ignition. As long as you're aware of this quirk and wait for your engine to fully warm up, ....

Interesting.   That might tie up with my experience - I’m reasonably sure it only ever happens when I’m starting from cold.  However, it makes no sense - have Skoda acknowledged this as a fault, I wonder?

4 hours ago, Yogi-Bear said:

But never mind all that… Merry Xmas! 🎅🎄

Different dealer 😉

My local dealer is DM Keith in York, but I travel further afield to Des Winks in Scarborough.

Merry Christmas to you and the rest of the forum too 🎄 

• 1 month later...

Same here. It is related to the temperture: in the morning and also when I leave the office it doesn't work. Drive for a while, restart the engine and it's back to life. The thing is I am sure that this is a malfunction because when the ACC is dead, so is the horn and it won't work until the acc is back.

I also have an Opel Astra and when it is hot (in summer), the CIM is loosing it's mind and the horn isn't working anymore. Maybe with the Kodiaq we are experiencing something similar.

Missed the original thread, so just to say in case you haven't found a solution yet, my regular "SOS function unavailable" warning in my MY21 was fixed with a dealer software update, don't know if it's available for yours.

• 1 year later...

On my 2021 Scala with standard cruise control I have the same issue to a point. The cruise control symbol, normally white turns yellow when I first start the car without even trying to us the cruise control. The switch on the indicator stalk is still switched on though. It seems to be when my phone connects to hthe Bolero system. I can sometimes get it to work by switching the system off, then switching the engine off, opening the door and closing it again, starting the car again and presto, fixed. It happens more often than not so very annoying. If anyone has any ideas it would be much appreciated. The software I updated recently to the 1798 version.

Cheers

On 16/02/2023 at 18:41, TM78STG said:

Same here. It is related to the temperture: in the morning and also when I leave the office it doesn't work. Drive for a while, restart the engine and it's back to life. The thing is I am sure that this is a malfunction because when the ACC is dead, so is the horn and it won't work until the acc is back.

Exactly the same for me during the February cold spell.  But presumably it's battery charge/voltage on startup rather than temperature.

I guess it says something about your driving whether you first notice it's the horn not working or cruise control.