Re map

pj71

Yes, there are (i cannot give you details, unless you need some from Poland :) ). You can also get a decent box, like DTE one.

BUT i guess i would skip it. Manual gearbox so far seems to be made from paper, and DQ200 DSG doesn't really like remaps (there's a reason it's used for engines UP TO 250Nm, which incidentally is what 1.5 does). It's possible of course, but either it will cost quite much (replacing DSG clutch set for stronger one) or will decrease gearbox lifespan. Up to you.

Worry less about the DQ200 DSG, even though issues and an invalid warranty are expensive.

The 1.5 TSI ACT is more of a concern without a Warranty if things go wrong IMO 

Someone that has had theirs done might be along. 

They have been available long enough now and VW took long enough getting their engine management acceptable / driveable, 

someone might have improved what they have. 

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/474324-15-tsi-remap

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/501975-15tsi-dsg-remapping-risks

@skodamotahas posted links on this thread.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/489448-sportline-15-tsi-engine-tunermap

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/471197-15-tsi-remap

Edited by toot

Why would you think 1.5 is more of a concern?

DQ200, unlike 1.5, has a long history of failures (clutches, mechatronics, housing).

So far 1.5 been reliable, except for kangaroo (but it's not really something that would render car useless, or require engine swap under warranty). Haven't heard of any major mechanical design flaws, as well as issues with equipment like turbo. Same thing with 1.4 EA211, on which 1.5 is based.

I know you don't like those engines for some reason, but they are good.

• Confused 1

EDIT.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/509469-code-p25bc-turbo-wastegate-stuck-open

@Felix2021   You can not hear about cars over 5 years old having issues until there are ones over 5 years old.

I love these engines, but i have my eyes wide open to the complexity.  Time will tell what they are like at 6 years and older and at higher miles.

The 1.4 TSI's are still being sold new elsewhere in the world and fitted to a 8 speed auto.  That is where VW does not need to have cars meet WLTP / RDE2 but have them behave properly on the road 

As the early ones get their Timing belt changed for the first time all seems well apart for some that sadly were landed with the early 1.5 TSI with a fundamental issue with engine management as VW rushed to get them to get the WLTP and certification. 

But that is in the past, unless anyone gets landed with a bad one.

We will see how the GPF's are after 5 years and when the first ones need replacing and at what expense. 

As to the DQ200 history. 

We know it very well, and how much you can increase the power / torque beyond what the factory gives as the max, and also how to upgrade the software and clutch packs.

That is a known known, 15 years worth of knowledge, unlike with the 1.5 TSI ACT's.

585848287_Screenshot2022-12-2814_19_08.jpg.a622554865cd35b0aa0635744f07aef0.jpg

Edited by toot

1 hour ago, toot said:

@Felix2021   You can not hear about cars over 5 years old having issues until there are ones over 5 years old.

But should you judge the engine based on age, or mileage?

There are quite many 1.5 TSI's with well over 200kkm, or even 300kkm driven. It's popular engine for company cars.

In case of major mechanical flaws, we knew it very soon (EA111, EA888). Since 1.5 is on the market for 5 years, and there is no interent s*it-storm, i would assume they are really ok. Of course my assumption can be wrong, but at the moment that's all we can do (with some level of being certain :) ).

1 hour ago, toot said:

That's one case, first i have heard about. Could really happen to every other turbo engine, especially that we have no idea how the car was used, and what really happened.

1 hour ago, toot said:

early 1.5 TSI with a fundamental issue with engine management as VW rushed to get them to get the WLTP and certification

That's true, but it was more or less fixed. Some still get SOME kangaroo, but at least without lack of accelerator issue, that happened in the very beginning.

1 hour ago, toot said:

We will see how the GPF's are after 5 years and when the first ones need replacing and at what expense. 

We will, but i'm not expecting anything bad really. So far we havent heard about any major issues with GPF in any car. After 5 years DPF already had a very bad reputation, so they do not really seem comparable.

1 hour ago, toot said:

As to the DQ200 history. 

We know it very well, and how much you can increase the power / torque beyond what the factory gives as the max, and also how to upgrade the software and clutch packs.

That is a known known, 15 years worth of knowledge, unlike with the 1.5 TSI ACT's.

Well, yes. And we also know that despite some changes, they haven't really got rid of those flaws completely. Less issues now (especially with mechatronics and housing), but it still happens.

1 hour ago, toot said:

I love these engines, but i have my eyes wide open to the complexity.

Ok, maybe i have misunderstood you. If that is the case, than i apologize :)

@Felix2021Good if there are many 200 or 300 km 1.5TSI's on the go without any issues.  Any doing 200,000 miles is good real world testing. 

Time will tell how many are used as taxis and prove themselves. 

There must be owners out there with a remapped 1.5 TSI that can share their experiences and maybe even have a dyno print out, 

or even ones that have fitted a tuning box. 

Anyone considering a Tuning Box needs to remember there are 130 ps 1.5 TSI's as well as the 150ps in the Skodas.

Best just talk to a good trusted local tuner about a Remap of the engine and the DSG. 

Edited by toot