7 gear 4x4 DSG gearbox error codes for a 2018 TSI Kodiaq!

Hi UK Skoda community, from OZ

What is the risk of damaging my 2018 Skoda Kodiak 7 seater 2.0 TSI (petrol) with its 2 recent "gearbox in emergency mode" messages from driving back to home ~ 100km (Sunshine Coast back to Brisbane)?

The DSG is 7 speed automatic 4x4.

The first instance of gearbox emergency, happened about 2 months ago, was something like "gearbox overheating, limited gears, no reverse" (after about 2 hours after engine turnoff, all gears were back, and clearly the system had reset itself). I took it to our Skoda dealer but only an "ACC error" was still on the car's computer log.

Yesterday, something similar happened, but the message was something like "gearbox emergency, but drive on" which allowed me only even numbered gears after driving up some steep hills. 

My Skoda dealer (after the first incident negative testing incident) said if it happens again, call Skoda Assist for towing to the nearest dealer to analyse the data.  But we had 2 grandkids, a dog, and all our Xmas holiday stuff in the car, and had no choIse but to keep going to our holiday unit on the Sunshine coast.

The car data reset itself after about 10 minutes after a supermarket grocery stop, and is now parked at our unit, without being turned on  since then.

So, my question is, do you think it is wise for us to drive back home (to Brisbane (~100 km)), or have the car towed from our Sunshine Coast unit to the local Skoda dealer (about 3km away), but then have to pay for a hire car to get back home, and however long it takes for them to diagnose and fix the DSG problem?

This is vehicle risk assessment at its worst, potentially destroying our Xmas holiday plans with our grandkids

Thanks in advance for your input.

Cheers, John

@JohnHooper

How many km has your Kodiaq done? 

I would have thought Skoda learned by the bad publicity in the past not to have customers driving vehicles with a dodgy DSG.

Even though the famous case of a fatality was not with the unfortunate lady driving a DSG. 

Edited by toot

• 4 weeks later...

This is almost certainly down to the Mechatronics in the gearbox. It will come up as a temporary fault to start with. When you turn the engine off and restart it will disappear and you will have no warning lights on the dashboard. Sods law mine was just out of warranty. I bought the automatic as for some unearthly reason you cannot put a towbar on a manual 7 seat Kodiak because of the transmission and I have a bike rack. When you turn the ignition off and on and the warning disappears the car will work as normal for a god while. Sadly, it won't last long. Once you have the warning it's like the kiss of death to the gearbox. The only way you can find out for sure is by being put on a diagnostics machine four a couple of hours at £60.00 per hour. Once I read up on the fault I traded the car in. Its a real shame because it was a lovely vehicle with the panoramic roof but I bought the car for 20,400 and after a year of motoring it was going to cost around £2900 to fix.

If you are within the warranty period I would demand that they stick it on the diagnostics machine

To be honest, in this day and age,  I am amazed that Skoda can get away with this without a product recall. The dealerships all know about it but choose to play dumb unless you push them.

I will get another Kodiak eventually but I will go for the manual gearbox next time and get a roof bike rack next time. 

6 hours ago, Steve2302 said:

To be honest, in this day and age,  I am amazed that Skoda can get away with this without a product recall. The dealerships all know about it but choose to play dumb unless you push them.

I will get another Kodiak eventually but I will go for the manual gearbox next time and get a roof bike rack next time. 

Reading this forum, I've certainly been put off ever owning a Kodiaq with a DSG that's outside its three year warranty.

Edited by Theo5

8 hours ago, Steve2302 said:

I will go for the manual gearbox next time and get a roof bike rack next time. 

Trust me when I say you'll regret that... lifting a bike that is remotely heavy onto the roof of any SUV is not a pleasant experience, especially if you're trying to get it into the middle of the roof (if you have to carry more than 2 bikes).

When the Manufacturers do not Type Approve and give weights for a vehicle towing so that it can not legally tow that has never meant a Tow Bar / Ball can not be fitted for fitting a Bike Carrying Rack, a Luggage Box or what ever.

It does not even invalidate a vehicles manufacturers warranty fitting a Cycle Carrier Device.     Towing with this device on a Public Road will be illegal if the vehicle is not allowed to.

Various Skoda Models can not have a Tow Bar fitted for towing going back to Mk1 Fabia vRS & Mk2 vRS Hatch or Estates right up to recent Octavia & Superb or Kodiaq not plated with the weights.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/429261-dont-buy-a-20178-150ps-4wd-man-7-seat-if-you-tow

As to £60 an hour on diagnostics.

The Skoda Fixed Price Menu & Participating dealers are £60 for the first 30 minutes.  Some quote £120 an hour.

But then not an issue in Warranty with a Faulty DSG.  Pay them the money if needs must.  Get that back when Skoda / VW are paying for the repair.

2 hours diagnostics are not necessary for a DQ381 DSG with the issues they are having.

If the Tech is putting 2 hours as their time on the vehicle doing a diagnosis there is something very wrong going on there. 

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Steve, Toot and others for your advice on the failed DSG in my 2018 Kodiaq 4x4 TSI (~34,000 km). It was indeed the Mechantronic component, and after nearly 2 months in the dealer workshop, awaiting parts and mechanic availability, I finally got my car back, functioning as when I bought it. Fortunately I had a 7 year warranty (expiring in 2024), so no cost. However, "Skoda Assist" (Australia) were pathetic in terms of not approving a courtesy car for the first 2 weeks, but thanks to the Skoda Keema dealer/ service centre at Mt Gravatt Brisbane, I eventually got a loan car.

So, does anyone have any knowledge of the Mechantronic DSG component failing again, if (for example) I decide to keep this car for another 7 years after warranty expires - or sell it and fork out for a new model 7 seater Kodiaq? I love this car, and especially touring throughout eastern Oz, but am now wary of the DSG problem occurring in our "outback" ( we don't go off-road much). Thanks again for your comments you wonderful Briskoda community 

• Thanks 1

Best take out an extended warranty when yours expires.

There are people that can repair the MCU's and VW Group will hopefully be required in Australia, New Zealand and other World Regions to accept there are Design, Manufacturing or material faults and like in 2012 with the DQ200 in some countries like China put a 100,000 mile / 10 year warranty on them. 

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/509101-dsg-in-emergency-mode-in-the-cold

The DQ381,s are not just used in 2.0 TSI or TDI's, also in some 1.5 TSI's FWD or AWD.  Lots of them out there in VW,s, Audi,s, Seats & Skoda,s. 

Edited by toot
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...