Once again, a fuse question

TheEpicBlob

Hi all,

Yet another fuse question!

I’m looking at hardwiring a dash cam in the next few days.

I’d like an always on fuse (the hardwire kit has under voltage protection).

I’m considering wiring into the hazard lights, but would like to know if there’s a less ‘mission critical’ fuse that can be used? 

Otherwise, the hazard lights I believe would work, assuming they don’t need to be on for it to power the dash cam (think I’ll be pulled over before long!) - does anyone know of the fuse to use?

I can’t seem to find anything in the diagrams that specifically lists the hazard lights or something else that’s always on.

10 minutes ago, rdemirel said:

I did some tests, and it looks like the radio stays powered on (it doesn’t, more on this later).

I’ve got a 2012 model, so only the single fuse panel in the drivers footwell. 
Tested the radio by being in the car, locking with fob and turning radio on - it remains on. 

The issue I believe is: it only stays on for 30 or so minutes and turns off radio circuit.

So, more research is required for an always on/hot/battery connected fuse/circuit!

28 minutes ago, Breezy_Pete said:

24, 26-30 inc, 32, 38, 39, 41, 44, 46, 48 and 49 are all listed as terminal 30 (permanent live).

Amazing, thanks @Breezy_Pete!

Just to double check - this is for the 2011 -2015 version?

If so, 26 is showing as unused on the diagram so may be able to use that!

This was from August 2011, there's another list from May 2013, but I expect there's a lot of overlap.

Ones that are unused on any given car may not have a terminal in both sides of the fuse socket, and if so won't work.

Edited by Breezy_Pete
typo

12 minutes ago, Breezy_Pete said:

This was from August 2011, there's another list from May 2013, but I expect there's a lot of overlap.

Ones that are unused on any given car may not have a terminal in both sides of the fuse socket, and if so won't work.

Thanks - it lists the radio (38) as perm live - I wonder if it did work but battery is pants and just tripped the power sensor?

1 hour ago, Breezy_Pete said:

The radio may well have a permanent feed to it, but be switched off (and on) by CAN communication. Many electronic modules are like this.

Ah, thanks - does that mean if it’s switch off by CAN, it’ll kill the fuse, or is it further in from the fuse it gets switched?

Ideally, I’d like a circuit that a) remains powered all the time and b) isn’t mission critical if the fuse piggyback pops out and leaves me driving in the dark!

On 04/01/2023 at 12:04, Breezy_Pete said:

The fuse will stay powered. 👍

Thanks for letting me know.

I’ve done some extended testing and it appears that yes, fuse 3 is constantly powered!