1.6 TDI vibration in 1200-1500 rpm range in all gears

Hello,

I have faced with a weird situation in my mk3 1.6 TDI Octavia, it is 81kw version . When I am driving I noticed that between 1200-1500 RPM range engine vibrates and inside of the car I feel/hear annoying sound.

They vibration/sound I talk is very similar to the one that you normally get before staling the car. Not like right before car stalls with a very noticable shaky vibration more like a continious and annoying vibration, less shaky.

After passing this range car works without any problem at all very smoothly.

Normal idle of the car is totally fine, I have absolutely no shake/vibration when car does not move. Even if I push gas and increase RPM I feel nothing in neutral. This happens only car it in gear. 

I have this thread from 2013 about mk2 Octavia, here @boneman mentioned that it is airfilter assambley.

Has anyone else had similar situation? Should I take car to service? 

If it is something simple I might try to fix it if not then I will be taking it to the service.

Any idea from your side is greatly appreciated. 

Thanks guys.

Engine mounts could be the problem. As soon as I read the title I thought dual mass flywheel. Could mean a whole clutch assembly. If manual this is a relatively straightforward job I think. Dsg not so much.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MarkyG82 said:

Engine mounts could be the problem. As soon as I read the title I thought dual mass flywheel. Could mean a whole clutch assembly. If manual this is a relatively straightforward job I think. Dsg not so much.

Yes it is 5 speed manual,

I am not sure about the cause. Yesterday after writing this post I was checking similar topics "TDI engine low RPM vibration" and I saw that there are many posts about this issue in different forums. 

I really cannot be sure if this is a real problem or not. My car was checked from 2 big service. One in July another in September in very well known/ respected Skoda service. Some components changed in the engine but this issue with clutch was never brought up to me. I changed shock absorbers+disk and brake pads in last one, in first one fluids+filters+all of the belts changed+aircon service was done. 

Can this be an "issue" that services ignore and take as default problem?

Nevertheless I will definetely check flywheel and engine mounts. Not right now but in upcoming weeks. After the check I will write an update here.

10 hours ago, varooom said:

Check your engine and gearbox mounts to see if any of the bolts are loose.

You may need to remove air box to view the bolts for gearbox mount.

Okay I will check it. 

I saw a post while searching this issue on the internet. Post is similar to mine and posted in VW group. 

There the user mentioned that technician found out that reason of the problem is air box and when tightening the air box and holding it tightly vibration stops. Can this be an issue related with air leak?

Truth be told there could be a range of issue's that all cause similar symptoms.  I am no mechanic, but a weekend type, and not long back the bolts on gearbox mount had came loose.

Your fault also is sounding the same as a DMF when they fail also, it's something I have had and know how it "feels" when driving/sounds etc, but hard to describe as you well know.

You could listen to several YouTube videos of cars with failed DMF, and compare.  Also my 1.6tdi has a SMF (solid mass flywheel from factory) do you know for sure yours has a DMF fitted?

8 minutes ago, varooom said:

Truth be told there could be a range of issue's that all cause similar symptoms.  I am no mechanic, but a weekend type, and not long back the bolts on gearbox mount had came loose.

Your fault also is sounding the same as a DMF when they fail also, it's something I have had and know how it "feels" when driving/sounds etc, but hard to describe as you well know.

You could listen to several YouTube videos of cars with failed DMF, and compare.  Also my 1.6tdi has a SMF (solid mass flywheel from factory) do you know for sure yours has a DMF fitted?

Now I have checked ~7 -8 videos of failed DMF and I am certain that it is not my problem. In idle or when car it in gear when I move I do not hear any sound from gearbox. 

• Like 1

For my engine/gearbox bolts becoming loose, I was beginning to hear noises when cornering more one direction than the other.  Even if they are not visibly loose, worth a few minutes to check none are, then that can be eliminated.

Other choice is to channel your inner Spielberg and create and star in your own YouTube video so we can see/hear what you do, keep it PG13 😆

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, varooom said:

For my engine/gearbox bolts becoming loose, I was beginning to hear noises when cornering more one direction than the other.  Even if they are not visibly loose, worth a few minutes to check none are, then that can be eliminated.

Other choice is to channel your inner Spielberg and create and star in your own YouTube video so we can see/hear what you do, keep it PG13 😆

Thanks for the answer :) tomorrow I will check the car definitely, but I am not sure about starting a Youtube career yet :D

• Kiss 1

This was part of my gearbox mount.

IMG_20230106_221418_688.thumb.jpg.3a24942e0a1aedf8a5a309288e6bf8ff.jpg

(Not my hand)

My son was driving and stalled the car (he's a learner) and he drove off, saying he was having a little trouble with gear's, but didn't have the vocabulary to explain it.

We made it home, and luckily just as he parked up, it got stuck in gear.  I managed to get it out of gear, and next day took it to a garage I've known for a few years.

He eventually found the broken parts of the mount, I assume when he stalled it, the engine rocked up and slammed down on the loose bolts.

Edited by varooom
Spellink