Intermittent Sluggish Start / Delayed Crank - 2.0 TDI VRS

Ok before I go and spend money at a dealer want to run this past the community 

2016 VRS 2.0 TDI with 50k on the clock 

Randomly and there is no patten the car will struggle to start , either a long crank (circa 5+ seconds)  even up to 10 before , and sometimes will start quick but sort sluggish likes struggling for fuel. 

There is no relation to if its cold or hot weather wise or if engine is hot or cold it can be completely random 

Once started its fine, it pulls fine,  it idles fine 

Only other thing to mention is i do feel the DPF regen does happen a lot more often than My Audi A3 2.0 TDI but i did put it down to shorter journeys , my MPG is circa average of 50MPG and I get circa 480 miles until warning light - 500 if I push it 

No warning lights on dash , no noises , apart from this its fine 

Anyone have any ideas 🙂

Could be the battery is on it's way out. A non functioning stop-start system is often an early sign. You could also check the cold cranking voltage is within limits ( can't quite remember what the minimum is but I think anything below 10v is not good ) 

58 minutes ago, Gammyleg said:

Could be the battery is on it's way out. A non functioning stop-start system is often an early sign. You could also check the cold cranking voltage is within limits ( can't quite remember what the minimum is but I think anything below 10v is not good ) 

Thanks for the info , once the car starts though "sluggish once" the stop start for the reset of the drive is perfect 1 second crank if that , and i thought if it was the battery would be much worst in the cold weather we had but it was not 

but will check the volts 

My car is randomly doing that, 5 seconds crank once a month maybe, I have been thinking about battery as well because is old but doesn’t make sense because the cranking  process is fast when it takes long , and usually starting fast in cold weather and after a few days of been stationary.
     My worry is about the fuel pressure, on my example when then engine is turned off ( 90 degrees oil temperature) the fuel pressure should rise , I am using vcds live data, in my case is dropping. This might be one cause of long cranking

3 hours ago, DaveMark said:

the stop start for the reset of the drive is perfect 1 second crank if that

If the Stop-Start is still working well, it is unlikely that the battery is at fault. The Stop-Start seems to be the first symptom of a duff battery long before any other issues become evident. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Did you dealt with the problem?I have the same long crank and have been looking to fined any clue why my 1.6 tdi is randomly long cranking.