Headlight washer cover replacement - Superb Mk3

Model: SUPERB SE L EXECUTIVE TDI - 2015

Hello all

The recent cold snap in the UK seems to have broken the clip on the back of the headlight washer cover on driver's side, and during a trip it has dropped off so I need to get a replacement.

Any recommendations for stockists and more importantly, they apparently come unpainted so any advice on getting them painted to match car would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

Buy the caps direct from Skoda.

either attempt to paint yourself with a rattle can or take it to a bodyshop - keep in mind they will charge a minimum amount so don’t expect to be cheap cause it’s small.

correct -they do come unpainted 

• 2 months later...

I have an Octavia Mk 3 saloon (2018). In a recent cold snap one of my headlamp washer covers also broke off. I imagine this was due to insufficient screen wash antifreeze causing an ice build up behind the cover when the jets were activated. Ice casuses expansion - that is well known.

In my case though the two "lugs" on the end of the washer jet also broke off with the cover 😒

I didn't want a long repair involving the removal of the front bumper and replacement of the entire jet as it is bad enough having to spray a new cover with the correct paint so I experimented with removing the end of the jet by first first griping the assembly on the car with a mole wrench to stop it retracting into the bumper and then placing two thin blades (I used artists pallet knives) in between the clips and the serated part of jet assembly as shown on one side in the photo. That allowed the end section of the jet to be removed by carefully pulling it off.

I further discovered that the jet assembly parts for the Octavia 3 (Part Numbers 5E0955966 Right and E0955965 Left)
used the same end pieces as the more easily available and cheaper VW Golf Mk Vll 2013-17 (Part numbers 5G0955966 Right and 5G0955965 Left). It would also seem that those end pieces are not "handed" so are interchangeable. Replacing the end piece of the jet is a breeze as it just pushes on to provide an interference fit with the teeth on the main assembly. Hope this might help someone with the same issue :)

PS the part numbers for the washer covers are 5E0955109E GRU - left side and  5E0955110E GRU - right side (driver side of RHD car). Best to get the primed ones if you can,

IMG_20230324_164105.jpg

Edited by Welsh Boyo
  • Thanks 1

Hi all

I was quoted around £160 by Skoda garage for part and painting.

Found a second hand part on ebay, and sanded to plastic.

Bought primer, matched colour code paint, and clear coat on internet.

2 coats primer, 2 coats paint, 2 coats clear coat and wet sanding = job done.

Cost £37 all in + my time

• Like 1