Vibration after remap, 2.0 tdi

Hello all,

Last week I had my 2014 Superb 140 2.0TDi remapped by a reputable tuner. Since then I'm getting vibration between 2-2.5k rpm at mostly full throttle in gears 3,4,5, and 6. The higher the gear, the worse it gets. It's a manual box with 73k miles.

Today I took it back for investigation and had the previous map installed, the vibration has vastly reduced but hasn't totally disappeared, I can't remember having the vibration before the remap but maybe it was there but seemed normal? The tuner checked for anything obviously loose but found nothing.

The flywheel has been suggested as causing the problem and I'm inclined to agree as the vibration occurs when most torque is being output. I did have the Haldex pump changed at the same time as the remap but I doubt this is causing it.

Anyone had similar or can offer any cause?

Thanks

Perhaps not much help but subjectively, my experience is the opposite.  My 150 TDI Yeti is smoother after being remapped by Angel Tuning, as was my previous 170 TDI Mk 5 Golf.  

I suspect you might be correct about the DMF.  How many miles are on the car?

Edited by Schtum

Having done some Internet research there are some instances where the haldex propshaft damper could have failed?

Maybe there are worn engine mounts exacerbated by the remap?

It might be a CV-joint. I had the same issues (vibrating at WOT around 2-2500RPM) after remap, so I replaced the CV-joints on the left side drive shaft (FWD). The vibration is almost gone, and I'm planning on replace the right side as well. The old CV-joints were tight, but dry, so I expect the other side to be the same.

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestion, I'm back at the tuner Saturday morning to have a more thorough check over and have the map put back on. I'll certainly ask them to check the CV joints.

Did you have the vibration in all gears?

On 07/02/2023 at 19:41, Besters said:

Anyone had similar or can offer any cause?

Yes, exactly what you described, it was the dual mass flywheel, there were no noises or vibration in the base state of tune (108hp) but the engine did not develop any power at higher revs and upchanges were made before 2K rpm, after the remap it revved to the red line but sounded really gnarly like the Tractor Pulling diesels before they exploded.

My biggest problem was that the increased revs and probably turbo heat caused clutch hydraulic failure, I wasted a lot of time changing master cylinders and ending up having to bleed the clutch frequently at the side of the road before removing the gearbox to replace the slave cylinder, I replaced the clutch and DMF at the same time.

Then big surprise, no more knocking and rattling at any point in the rev range or at any throttle opening.

I think my partially worn DMF would have gone on for years (it had done 85K miles) but the extra torque and revs of the remap was too much for it.

That you have gone back to the stock engine map and now have noise and vibration albeit reduced which was not there before makes me certain that your DMF is the culprit, after seeking info it appears the DMF's on the higher powered engines have a significantly reduced life.

If mine starts getting knarly again at high revs I will know that its time to replace it again but also that I will be able to nurse it along by avoiding high revs.

I did suspect the flywheel and so did my tuner but wanted to put it down to the last resort with it being the most expensive swap. I'm in it for the long term with this car so if it needs swapping then that's what I'll do.

Thanks for your help.

On 15/02/2023 at 21:23, Besters said:

Thanks for the suggestion, I'm back at the tuner Saturday morning to have a more thorough check over and have the map put back on. I'll certainly ask them to check the CV joints.

Did you have the vibration in all gears?

Vibration is mostly in 3rd gear and upwards, but almost gone after replacing the left side CV joint. It was the inner CV joint that was dry (causing more friction under load I guess). You will need to disconnect the drive shaft to troubleshoot this.

• 2 weeks later...

Made a return visit to the tuner, they took a look and showed me lots of play in the dogbone mount so that's next on the list. There was also some noise from the flywheel but that'll be a last resort.

Not ruled out the inner CV joints though.