Replacement Car Battery Skoda Scala 2020 model year 1.5tsi (act) DSG

rdb

I know there have been previous posts on the topic of car battery replacements for the Scala, and they mentioned best to fit an AGM rather than EFB. My car was built late 2019, and probably because of the pandemic, was not registered until September 2020. I bought it a couple of months later when it had done less than 1200 miles. It's described as first edition or launch edition and although basically SEL spec. it has sports interior,  external styling pack, panoramic sunroof, heated front windscreen. The battery is obviously now over 3 years old (and for 9 months of that before being registered probably was unused and depleted of charge), Stop start has become increasingly reluctant to kick in (saying consumption high). A fifty mile run does not kick it in. I previously had an Octavia for 5 years with AGM battery, and stop start always worked (subject to ambient temp. and the other criteria being met) The car currently has an EFB battery.

I have checked on the many sites which say which battery will fit my car (using reg. number) and none bring up an AGM option. So after that long winded introduction, here is what I could do with ideas and thoughts/suggestions on:-

1) Is the consumption too high message on stop/start a common issue.

2) Does that indicate poor battery condition ( the car always starts promptly on the start button)

3) Anyone with an AGM battery fitted and what are your experiences?

4) Will a new EFB or AGM battery need coding to the car?

5) I have checked stop/start with no heating, air con windscreen heating or other current draw on and that does not make any difference. It does have rear camera (Skoda fitment) but that does not seem a likely cause of current draw, as it does what it should and only operates when car in reverse. It it possible that other modules are not powering down when they should? Any thoughts. The car is still under warranty and has done less than 15000 miles with a fair amount being 700 mile trips.

6) What battery rating does your 1.5 tsi act Scala have? Is the fitment different for colder climates than the UK?

Many thanks

1. Is a sign of a dying battery

2. Yes, even a battery that's showing signs of failing will often start the car

3. AGM'S last 3x longer than standard,  EFB roughly 2x as long as a rough indication

4. If you swap technology, Yes!

5. If the existing battery is not healthy then turning off the items won't make much difference

6. Await other members, but I can look as to what choices you have

• Like 2

I could probably claim on warranty but as I intend to keep the car for a while I want to avoid a like for like offer by Skoda and go for an option that will last more than 3 years

Please note - I am not a mechanic or expert in anything.

4 hours ago, rdb said:

I could probably claim on warranty but as I intend to keep the car for a while I want to avoid a like for like offer by Skoda and go for an option that will last more than 3 years

If you can claim on warranty then do that, a new EFB replacement will still be good.  The next battery should last (a lot) longer because you will have the knowledge to look after it more (without much effort) and the next battery you can give a much better early life to which will extended its overall life and performance during its life.

When the battery is allowed to go too low it never fully recovers and the more often it goes too low the shorter its life and performance.

Just because the car starts and the lights seem bright enough it doesn't mean that the battery isn't too low which will upset the computers and cause all sorts of unexpected issues even before any warning lights or messages.

Just driving the car often won't recharge the battery fully or enough and may actually reduce the charge depending on the journey and electric consumption.

The answer can often be to recharge the battery using an appropriate battery charger (& maintainer) and prevention is better than cure, recharge before the battery gets too low.

You could probably get more life out of your existing battery but if you can get a new battery under warranty that would be better as possibly (probably?) your car's battery was left to deteriorate when it was new and has never fully recovered from that.

A 2019 car I'd guess is full of marvellous gadgets which are electric hungry and if they only use a little if it's over a long time the consumption can be high.  Just one example, and with a warning, from a 2015 Fabia Owner's Manual below, I'd imagine there's a lot more info and advice and warnings in a copy of the 2019 Scala Owner's Manual.  If you read the Owner's Manual and refer to it when required you will know more about your model than many long term owners.

Link to PDF copies of the Owner's Manual, using VIN or manufacture part year. - https://manual.skoda-auto.com/004/en-com/Models

Link to Recalls (VW might have admitted to) perhaps there might be one on batteries (there was for my wife's 2015 Fabia). - https://www.skoda-auto.com/services/recall-campaigns

njnnj.jpg.23cebb2095f8e8b68faa9925bffafc3a.jpg

Edited by nta16
ETA: Please note - I am not a mechanic or expert in anything.

• 2 weeks later...