Just noticed rust 😞

So after a good clean today I noticed some corrosion around bottom of rear spoiler., it’s not too bad but still a bummer , I would mind I read all about potential Octavia 3 corrosion problems before I bought it, but still a great car tho, I wonder how much this will cost , it’s on both side as well. 

EFABC8C5-115B-46B0-B60E-819D06C2EBD5.jpeg

CA0403EA-AC8E-4B0E-8DF7-1DABF52AACE2.jpeg

Edited by Mikeyd1
Mispelled
  • Sad 1

Having the same issue present itself around the (hatch) boot edges on my MY2016 - though that's unexpected for a 2019 car, well spotted.

I am due to get the car in for a full 'stage 3 paint correction+' ceramic coating session soon, so I'm sure the fixes + coating is going to provide a hefty bill. Tend not to do many paint fixes myself, though have treated all gravel rash and the small rust areas I've found with the Turtle Wax Scratch Repair & Renew stuff (whether it does anything or not to protect it in the meantime 🙄).

Do update if you get a quote for a fix.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ads230 said:

Having the same issue present itself around the (hatch) boot edges on my MY2016 - though that's unexpected for a 2019 car, well spotted.

I am due to get the car in for a full 'stage 3 paint correction+' ceramic coating session soon, so I'm sure the fixes + coating is going to provide a hefty bill. Tend not to do many paint fixes myself, though have treated all gravel rash and the small rust areas I've found with the Turtle Wax Scratch Repair & Renew stuff (whether it does anything or not to protect it in the meantime 🙄).

I’m going to a Skoda approved body shop on Wednesday so I’ll keep the post updated, have you got any pics of yours. Also this could of been prevented at factory with a little ppf or rubber washer.

• Like 1

They could of but never do and it is as they have been doing for decades.

Your Paint Warranty is 3 years and the Body Warranty is for perforation from inside.

?

Are you going to the Body Shop for an Inspection / Quote for them to repair and you pay or to start a Warranty Claim?

So if you are looking at a Warranty Claim then that is supposed to be at An Approved Repairer / Dealership first, then from there the procedure starts.

They would claim there was no record of a Body Inspection even though the car had been Dealership Serviced & the Body Inspection at Main Deal Services is often not done or recoded and not a T&C in the Warranty anyway.

SKODA_Warranty_Terms_November_2021 (1) (1).pdf

Screenshot 2023-02-23 19.50.50.png

Edited by toot

If they refuse I’ll probably just have to fork out my own Pocket , I’ve only had the car 3 months ands it’s only 3.5 year old but I know warranty stuff it’s just a ball ach . 

makes its worse I’ve already fallen for the car lol

9B372F80-F3AB-4FA5-8BE4-F8052ECFADAA.jpeg

20 hours ago, Ads230 said:

I wouldn't bother with the Turtle Wax stuff - if it does do anything (like hide swirls) then the detailer will just have to work harder to remove it and get back to bare paint to start the correction.

• Like 2

Mine has some around the two bolt holes behind the rear number plate. Only spotted this when I took the plate off because it hadn't been fixed properly. The holes in the plate were drilled too close together so the plate had a bow in it and let dirt/muck etc build up between the plate and the boot skin. .

• 2 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, Mikeyd1 said:

Update, claim rejected (no surprise) and they said they can do it for the tidy sum £ 560, absolute joke for what it is 

I had rust on my tailgate in 2016, when my car was under a year old.  The claim was rejected by Skoda.  I was about to seek legal advice, but the claim was then accepted, second time around.

Don't give up too soon!

Gaz

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Gaz said:

I had rust on my tailgate in 2016, when my car was under a year old.  The claim was rejected by Skoda.  I was about to seek legal advice, but the claim was then accepted, second time around.

Don't give up too soon!

Gaz

Who did you speak to after yours was rejected the first time?? ThAnks

13 hours ago, Mikeyd1 said:

Who did you speak to after yours was rejected the first time?? ThAnks

I went back to the dealership, asked them if they really thought it reasonable to expect rust at this point (because I didn't), provided them with some high resolution photo's, told them I'd already spoken with Trading Standards (I had) and asked them to re-submit before I considered my next steps, which was enough to galvanise a more acceptable response.  I'm struggling to find photo's, or my previous thread from around May 2016.

Gaz

Found one photo - reckon the rest died when my 2011 MacBook Pro went belly up:

1014486486_vRSrustMay2016.thumb.jpg.0b80c88bc5cd9a3ed6a1b5d887d432b8.jpg 

Edited by Gaz
typo

That is very severe for under a year old, even Lancia with their worst example would have struggled to beat that.

Mind you by the first MOT the whole front bulkhead and subframe support structure looked like that all over!

• Like 2

It appears to becoming common for some Skoda cars.

Some manufacturers have sorted out premature corrosion and that included Skoda, but we seem to be going back to the future. 

Time to start getting rust inhibitor on where there is bare metal in areas not see unless the bonnet is open.

?

Is your car kept near the seaside?

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, toot said:

That crossed my mind too.  

I'm about a mile away from the sea as the crow flies, and apart from the one problematic bit on the tailgate, mine had no other rust, even when mine was the same age as his is now.

Gaz

• Like 2

3 hours ago, toot said:

It appears to becoming common for some Skoda cars.

Some manufacturers have sorted out premature corrosion and that included Skoda, but we seem to be going back to the future. 

Time to start getting rust inhibitor on where there is bare metal in areas not see unless the bonnet is open.

?

No I’m not by the seaside but the last owner may well have been. 

• Like 1