Front assist not working and oil temperature display playing up - are they connected?

Seasider

My Kamiq was in for service last Wednesday and driving home afterwards I was driving through very fine but dense snow.  At one point a message came up along the lines of "Front sensor impaired; front assist not available".  This had happened once before in similar visibility (though in very heavy rain) conditions, so I was not too bothered and, as had happened before, the weather improved and front assist returned.  However, since then, front assist has not worked, although if I turn off front assist, the warning messages about do I want to disable front assist and front assist disabled come up. 

Following the manual, I have washed the front of the car, checked all brake lights are working (they are) and any other guidance, but to no avail.  Front assist does not pickup vehicles in front.

One thing that I have noticed, is that when the car is first started, the front assist icon and the hour glass symbol (which show front assist is starting up) come on, but whereas before the hour glass was rotating now it is stationary and though the icon and hour glass disappear after a few minutes, front assist isn't there.

What is strange, is that if I switch on ACC, that system picks up vehicles ahead!

The oil temperature display has also been acting up since the front assist problem started,  The oil temperature display comes on, but the temperature shown varies, quickly and often over a large range, e.g. 71C, 51C, 84C, in the time it takes to say 71 51 84.

The garage are looking into the problems, but I am still waiting for some news from them.

I'm wondering if an earth somewhere is faulty and these two items (front assist and oil temperature display/sensor and, maybe other items I haven't noticed) are affected by this.  I say this because on one occasion with my Fabia estate I set off when the bonnet was not fully closed and a number of electrical items/displays were not working.  I noticed that the bonnet wasn't fully closed, closed it and all was well.

Edited by Seasider

7 hours ago, Seasider said:

Many thanks.  I'll check the brake lights again in the light of your answe.

Check front assist has not been turned off in settings. How do you know it’s not working. Always keep Radar clean  

Edited by skoda1982
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/03/2023 at 16:29, skoda1982 said:

Check front assist has not been turned off in settings. How do you know it’s not working. Always keep Radar clean  

That was the first thing I checked and it was on. 

I know it's not working because it does not pick up the presence of vehicles in front.

As mentioned in my first post, following the advice in the manual, I washed the front of the car.

Two other problems have since appeared.

On three occasions, the oil temperature display has disappeared while I have been driving and the mileage range has replaced it.

On two occasions, the imminent danger of collision alarm has gone off for no apparent reason.

Easy enough to touch a button on the steering wheel and nudge the display to something different.

Others have reported front assist going off for no apparent reason, reducing the sensitivity in Settings generally resolves it.

Set your front assist to LATE in settings stops what your experiencing like sudden warning/braking. You might be scolding the thumb wheel and it’s changing display temp oil

• Like 1

On 31/03/2023 at 21:59, sussamb said:

Easy enough to touch a button on the steering wheel and nudge the display to something different.

Others have reported front assist going off for no apparent reason, reducing the sensitivity in Settings generally resolves it.

But I haven't done that, fingers and thumbs firmly on the steering wheel rim when it has happened.

Regarding the imminent collision warning going off twice, I have realised this is because I am using ACC as front assist is inoperative and ACC operates differently as regards warnings compared with front assist.