SIM card in glove box - sync contacts

As the Phonebox is to short for my phone, making it less convenient to have a charge cable attached and probably also rendering the inductive coupling to the roof antenna less efficient, I consider getting a twin SIM card for the glove box slot. Can this SIM be associated with the same account in Columbus as my mobil phone, or in any other way use the contacts imported from my mobile phone? 

I have an early build 2016 model, and I don't think Skoda Connect was ever supported. 

I think the alternative is to get a cheap small phone, and have it placed in the Phonebox semi permanently, and I will need a twin SIM anyway. I have never got Android Car working, and I don't think there is any obvious advantages with this option, if I can sync contact with the account using the glove box SIM.  (I live in a mountainous rural area, where the roof antenna makes a difference.)

Get a long USB lead and problem solved. However, in my experience, the signal isn’t improved that much. There’s a weak area in a couple of places on a road locally and having the phone connected to the car makes no difference to the dropouts whatsoever. 

I believe the SIM has no functions relating to phone calls or any telephone features. The SIM is only there for data usage for live traffic and other GSM functions. 

I may be wrong though. 

18 hours ago, numskull said:

Get a long USB lead and problem solved. However, in my experience, the signal isn’t improved that much. There’s a weak area in a couple of places on a road locally and having the phone connected to the car makes no difference to the dropouts whatsoever. 

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Do you have the phone in the Phonebox, or outside? Connecting it outside the Phonebox will not utilize the roof antenne, less you let the infotainment system take control over the SIM card. I find that rather inconvenient, having to key the SIM card pin code on the car screen every time I connect, and remember to do it on the phone every time I leave the car. I prefer to connect the infotainment system as an ordinary hands free unit, without direct access to the SIM card. 

11 hours ago, ApertureS said:

I believe the SIM has no functions relating to phone calls or any telephone features. The SIM is only there for data usage for live traffic and other GSM functions. 

I may be wrong though. 

My manual says about the glove box slot, roughly translated: 

"The SIM card can be used for data and telephone services.
The services are available with the ignition on (or if a phone call
ongoing when the ignition is switched off)."

I haven't tried it though, as I haven't got an extra SIM card, and my phone use a nano SIM. 

9 hours ago, farnol said:

Do you have the phone in the Phonebox, or outside? Connecting it outside the Phonebox will not utilize the roof antenne, less you let the infotainment system take control over the SIM card.

Sorry, I misunderstood what you meant. If your phone is too big, then the loop won’t connect anyway. If it fits but it’s also got a case on it, that will also degrade the signal and in any event, I’ve never noticed an improvement in signal with the handset housed in the phone box or when it’s outside the phone box and using CarPlay etc.. Our 280 does not have a SIM card slot; not sure if this is standard in the U.K. or if it could be specified at build. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/04/2023 at 08:14, numskull said:

Sorry, I misunderstood what you meant. If your phone is too big, then the loop won’t connect anyway. If it fits but it’s also got a case on it, that will also degrade the signal and in any event, I’ve never noticed an improvement in signal with the handset housed in the phone box or when it’s outside the phone box and using CarPlay etc.. Our 280 does not have a SIM card slot; not sure if this is standard in the U.K. or if it could be specified at build. 

Thanks. I guess I won't put much effort in to this then, less I change operator and can experiment with a free or very cheap extra card.