Buying Advice

5 hours ago, Phoenixboy said:

I certainly wouldn't buy a car from Cazoo, as it's a failing company now. If you took out their extended warranty, they went bust, what then?

Are you actually buying a warranty from Kazoo, or are they acting as a broker for "an_insurance_company"?

16 hours ago, Phoenixboy said:

After buying and selling many cars within the past, including recently selling one to Cazoo (easy process), I'd always test drive the car first, look over it with a fine tooth comb, if you are not happy with it, walk away, there's plenty more out there. It's easier to get jobs done prior to buying a car, than afterwards. I bought my last Skoda online only, after driving a similar specked car from a different dealership within the same group. The car was good when I received it, but needed some bits & pieces doing to it, including some bodywork & servicing, after arguing on the phone & threatening to drive their car back to them for a full refund. The work was eventually done to an acceptable standard, but I had to take the car in to another dealership to have it done at my own time. When you pay top cash for a low mileage nearly new, used car you'd expect it to be of a decent standard, you can't pick up everything from photo's. I certainly wouldn't buy a car from Cazoo, as it's a failing company now. If you took out their extended warranty, they went bust, what then?

Generally with cars, like most things in life you pay for what you get & if it's cheap it's usually cheap for a reason. Within my experience a lot dealerships don't prepare their cars to decent standards prior to sale, so it's best to view them in person, first. 

I actually think the theory behind Cazoo's model is pretty sound. Granted, it won't suit everyone as a car buying method but it will, and clearly does suit a lot of people. They are just getting the practice wrong, certainly in my experience anyway. It strikes me that they are ploughing way too many funds into advertising and sponsoring sporting teams and events when those funds would be much better spent actually making sure they do their 300 point checks, servicing vehicles and prepping them properly. They seem to be over promising and under delivering. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hilly81 said:

I actually think the theory behind Cazoo's model is pretty sound. Granted, it won't suit everyone as a car buying method but it will, and clearly does suit a lot of people. They are just getting the practice wrong, certainly in my experience anyway. It strikes me that they are ploughing way too many funds into advertising and sponsoring sporting teams and events when those funds would be much better spent actually making sure they do their 300 point checks, servicing vehicles and prepping them properly. They seem to be over promising and under delivering. 

When I sold my last car to them, they offered me a grand more for my car than anyone else, so I happily took it & they collected my car from my home, then bought my Octavia elsewhere. Although I think most people want to test drive their cars first, prior to buying, as Cazoo are now finding out. 

15 hours ago, KenONeill said:

Are you actually buying a warranty from Kazoo, or are they acting as a broker for "an_insurance_company"?

No I'm not buying an warranty from Cazoo or a car, I was replying to the original op on here with regards to purchasing a car from them. 

They are just like Arnold Clark when Sir Arnold was alive and since he passed on.

Turn loads and loads of them around and if lots are crap then no matter people keep buying and putting up with their nonsense.

Some even come back for 2nds and 3rds. 

They can not be that bad if they sponsor snooker and charities and much else. 

Screenshot 2023-05-10 20.48.36.png

Screenshot 2023-05-10 21.59.43.png

Edited by toot
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Phoenixboy said:

No I'm not buying an warranty from Cazoo or a car, I was replying to the original op on here with regards to purchasing a car from them.

Relevance to a specific question about "who supplies the warranty"? I think "none".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KenONeill said:

Relevance to a specific question about "who supplies the warranty"? I think "none".

I now understand what point you were trying to make. The extended warranty with Cazoo is payable monthly at £19 per month or a one off fee via their checkout. It's an insurance backed rac product, so I presume if Cazoo were to go "bust", then you'd keep the cover. Not sure about paying monthly though, as no doubt Cazoo would take a cut from that, too. 

A little update on this saga.

Tyre with the puncture replaced without hassle. Unfortunately, Cazoo would only permit a budget which I kind of expected and I dropped a bit of a clanger not paying the extra to fit something decent. It was always my plan to run with whatever tyres were on the car for 12 months or so then fit 4 PS4’s anyway so we’re ok there. Other tyre with the cut turned out to be absolutely fine. Not really a cut at all and certainly not a problem. 

Car now fully serviced. Oil, Oil filter, Plugs, Air & Pollen Filters, Diff oil and brake fluid all done with the cost covered by Cazoo as well as a £100 goodwill gesture from them on top. I also replaced the electric windows switch with an £18 unit from Amazon. The plastic frame of the original had broke meaning the switch wouldn’t press properly. 

In fairness to Cazoo and particularly Kate who I have been dealing with, in the last week or so they have been great. Helpful and responsive which is all I could ask for really. Just a shame there were such issues in the first place.

Time to enjoy the car now and to be fair, it’s a cracking car. Drove from the North West to Wembley for the National League playoff final on Saturday and it didn’t miss a beat at all during the 9 hours of driving I did. Very comfortable and capable on a long trip like that. 450 miles out of a tank as well! Spare wheel arrived today. Happy days. 

• Like 1