Faint intensely irritating high-pitched tone when coming off 'eco'

So, I've got a mk4 ('22) Skoda Octavia with an e-tec engine- As i've been driving it, I've started to notice an extremely short, very high-pitched, very faint tone sounding randomly. Imagine a mosquito quickly going past your ear 😂. It almost sounds like it's behind me in the rear passenger compartement, but really hard to tell with the pitch and faintness of the sound. I've worked out that it always happens when the little "eco" in a circle symbol on the instrument display turns out. Manual says this symbol comes on when the transmission get put into neutral whilst driving. Anyone had this or have any idea what's causing it? Now I've heard the sound I can't un-hear it, and I can't keep driving with the radio at full volume forever!

Did you try turning off the climate completely? I had a sound that was kind of high pitched and intrusive, and with the fans and climate completely off it shut up. Touch wood it didn’t come back either 

Hi, have/had similar high pitch in my MHEV, but it seems to be more seldom knowadays. Car is 2 years. 

Maybe I am getting older and loosing abiöity to hear high frequencies.😂

• 3 weeks later...
On 20/04/2023 at 17:01, Rhune said:

So, I've got a mk4 ('22) Skoda Octavia with an e-tec engine- As i've been driving it, I've started to notice an extremely short, very high-pitched, very faint tone sounding randomly. Imagine a mosquito quickly going past your ear 😂. It almost sounds like it's behind me in the rear passenger compartement, but really hard to tell with the pitch and faintness of the sound. I've worked out that it always happens when the little "eco" in a circle symbol on the instrument display turns out. Manual says this symbol comes on when the transmission get put into neutral whilst driving. Anyone had this or have any idea what's causing it? Now I've heard the sound I can't un-hear it, and I can't keep driving with the radio at full volume forever!

Hey Rhune,

I have just bought Škoda Octavia 1,5 TSI 110 kW DSG e-TEC last week. I really like the car, but I can also hear a faint noise when ECO mode turns on and off. It is a quite weak sound, but beacause of the fact that the car interior is well soundproofed, it becomes a bit unpleasant. Have you got some new experiences with this issue? I assume that you also got a brand new car just recently. 

I have reported this issue to the local Škoda dealer and he handed over to the manufacturer. I recomend you to do the same.

Cheers from Czech Republic!