Vibrations again at 130 km/h...

Since I bought it, with barely 18k kms and with plastic protectors still not removed, the car has not been as smooth as a 45k euro car should be. I have taken other models and they are not as smooth as they should be either.

I changed the Pirelli P7 that came as standard for some Michelin Primacy 4 and after 3 balancing the car started to go "acceptable". Now the vibrations have returned, which do not always appear, which is the most desperate.

I have to assume that it is the wheels (18") and I am thinking of going down to a 17" rim, but I would not like to spend so much money and continue the vibrations.

Another option is to put 245/45/18 tires and gain a few millimeters of tire height to make driving better.

I installed last year Koni Special Active and the difference with the standard ones is not much, in fact I hear noises in the rear with potholes at low speed. So I don't rule out putting some twin-tube Sachs, cheaper and just as effective. Koni's marketing department is far superior to its engineering department.

If anyone has been able to solve the worldwide widespread Skoda Superb vibration problem, please tell.

TDI 2.0 190PS 4X4

I have 2 possible thoughts.

1) As it is a 4x4 the Haldex needs full servicing (including cleaning the mesh sieve)

2) One of your wheels (probably at back if not feeling it through steering) is not perfectly balanced (close but not true), potentially one of the rims is not true and has slight buckle (but so slight not obvious looking at it)

Hello!  The maintenance of the haldex and the cleaning of the filter I did recently.  As for a bent rim, it may be, I would like to try other rims, in fact I am in the process of trying it.

My superb 280tsi with 19" wheels and DCC is very smooth on the motorway. Can be a bit crashy over low speed bumps, but that is a different thing. Could it be the prop shaft donut just in front of the Haldex? Presumably it would cause vibrations at a higher frequency than wheel speed. According to my dealer this can cause problems when it seizes, and mine was replaced under warranty.

• Like 2

If one of your wheels is slightly out of true or buckled it won't show up on a normal balancing machine. A normal balancing machine will be happily balance a square wheel as it spins it in air which does not impart any forces into the wheel from the road surface, it is purely a weight distribution balancing operation.

Have them checked on a roadforce balancing machine which loads the tyre against a roller while they spin to see if the wheel/tyre assembly is imparting any forces into the hub. Often the tyre can be rotated to allow forces from tyre imperfections to cancel forces from the rim. 

Not always easy to find a garage with such a machine but I've had wheels that "balance" fine on a traditional machine instantly flagged as being a problem on a roadforce.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjlwufk5Mb-AhXaR_EDHWwBAAUQtwJ6BAgsEAI&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Ds_wnxpR_t0Y&usg=AOvVaw27r9S2nGNipiUy5RqCrAL8

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MarkyTDI said:

If one of your wheels is slightly out of true or buckled it won't show up on a normal balancing machine. A normal balancing machine will be happily balance a square wheel as it spins it in air which does not impart any forces into the wheel from the road surface, it is purely a weight distribution balancing operation.

Have them checked on a roadforce balancing machine which loads the tyre against a roller while they spin to see if the wheel/tyre assembly is imparting any forces into the hub. Often the tyre can be rotated to allow forces from tyre imperfections to cancel forces from the rim. 

Not always easy to find a garage with such a machine but I've had wheels that "balance" fine on a traditional machine instantly flagged as being a problem on a roadforce.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjlwufk5Mb-AhXaR_EDHWwBAAUQtwJ6BAgsEAI&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Ds_wnxpR_t0Y&usg=AOvVaw27r9S2nGNipiUy5RqCrAL8

I have found a workshop in Madrid with that machine!!.

It may have been from the wear of the wheel itself (50,000 kms) that the balance has decomposed and that with a normal balance it worked.

I'll play it safe, even if it's more expensive, and I'll do it with the HUNTER machine.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, nicknorman said:

According to my dealer this can cause problems when it seizes, and mine was replaced under warranty.

Main dealer Bravo Sugar dish of the day, there is nothing to seize on a Guibo coupling, that is their raison d'être.

You are 100% correct to propose the coupling as the source of the vibration though.

On 26/4/2023 at 7:16, MarkyTDI said:

Si una de sus ruedas está un poco fuera de lugar o torcida, no aparecerá en una máquina balanceadora normal. Una máquina equilibradora normal equilibrará felizmente una rueda cuadrada mientras la hace girar en el aire, lo que no imparte ninguna fuerza a la rueda desde la superficie de la carretera, es puramente una operación de equilibrio de distribución de peso.

Pídales que revisen una máquina de balanceo de fuerza vial que carga la llanta contra un rodillo mientras giran para ver si el conjunto rueda/llanta está impartiendo alguna fuerza en el cubo. A menudo, el neumático se puede girar para permitir que las fuerzas de las imperfecciones del neumático cancelen las fuerzas del rin. 

No siempre es fácil encontrar un taller con una máquina de este tipo, pero he tenido ruedas que se "equilibran" bien en una máquina tradicional y se marcaron instantáneamente como un problema en una fuerza de carretera.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjlwufk5Mb-AhXaR_EDHWwBAAUQtwJ6BAgsEAI&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv% 3Ds_wnxpR_t0Y&usg=AOvVaw27r9S2nGNipiUy5RqCrAL8

This morning I went to the workshop to balance the wheels with the Hunter machine. It was not necessary to use the roller Hunter, with the normal Hunter it has been enough to balance the wheels well and eliminate vibrations.

I have to say that it is even better than when I installed the new tires and they did 3 rebalances in different places.

Waiting to do more kilometers I am very happy to have gone to this workshop.

Remember that I have MIchelin Primacy 4 with almost 60,000 km and without rotating from rear to front.

12 hours ago, Gabrielem said:

This morning I went to the workshop to balance the wheels with the Hunter machine. It was not necessary to use the roller Hunter, with the normal Hunter it has been enough to balance the wheels well and eliminate vibrations.

I have to say that it is even better than when I installed the new tires and they did 3 rebalances in different places.

Waiting to do more kilometers I am very happy to have gone to this workshop.

Remember that I have MIchelin Primacy 4 with almost 60,000 km and without rotating from rear to front.

Good to know you got it sorted, I imagine the majority of balancing machines in garages arent regularly relcalibrated after installation...some manufacturers say they should be done every three months and I just cant see this happening a lot of the time. I like to think that a garage that opts to install a much more expensive piece of kit than necessary, like the garage you have just been to will also then choose to maintain their kit correctly. 

As you said its probably not worth going to the cost of a road force balance on tyres that have already covered 60k km if a normal rebalance does the trick but it is something I like to do on new tyres myself.

• Like 1

Hace 13 horas, MarkyTDI dijo:

Es bueno saber que lo solucionó, me imagino que la mayoría de las máquinas balanceadoras en los garajes no se vuelven a calibrar periódicamente después de la instalación... algunos fabricantes dicen que deben hacerse cada tres meses y no veo que esto suceda la mayor parte del tiempo. Me gusta pensar que un taller que opta por instalar un kit mucho más caro de lo necesario, como el taller en el que acabas de estar, también optará por mantener su kit correctamente. 

Como dijiste, probablemente no valga la pena pagar el costo de un equilibrio de la fuerza de la carretera en neumáticos que ya han recorrido 60k km si un reequilibrio normal funciona, pero es algo que me gusta hacer con neumáticos nuevos.

Eso me dijo el propietario, que la prueba de carga se hace con neumáticos nuevos por si hay vibraciones y no se solucionan con el equilibrado normal.

As a curiosity and to compare prices with the rest of the world, 4 normal balanced and remove a tire to see a possible puncture, 54 euros VAT included.

Edited by Gabrielem